Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As far as I know, How are you? is not supposed to be answered [1]: In most of the cases it just means hi!.

Question: Regarding the closest German equivalent, i.e. "Wie geht's (dir)?", should this question be answered?

[1] I've never lived in an English speaking country, so correct me if I'm wrong

share|improve this question
I have to add that I feel a bit pressured if colleagues ask me that when they just want to say hi. I feel an urge to respond but I don't want to lie on the one hand and I don't want to elaborate on the matter either because, you know, we're not friends and we won't be talking anyway. So I actually get a little tiny bit discomforted by it. If you mean "Hi" then say "Hi" ... or just say "Alles gut". Then I can just say "yes." which might be a lie too but I don't have to fill the lie with content. I just have to say "yes". Others might find "Alles gut" a bit presumptive though :) –  Emanuel Jan 23 at 12:32

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Yes, if you are greeted with Hey, wie geht's dir?, there is usually an expectation to receive a reply:

Danke, gut! Und dir?
Geht so, und selbst?

Or if you do not want to return the question, simply:

Gut!
Geht so!

share|improve this answer
+1 for Geht so since no native German would answer the question in a positive manner. –  Lars Beck Jan 23 at 14:58

Muss ja, ne is what I usually say –  rompetroll Jan 23 at 16:56

Wie immer is what I replay to someone I already know. My opponent doesn't really expect a long answer. –  nixda Jan 25 at 9:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.