Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to find a translation, but it seems to be so informal that it doesn't appear properly in dictionaries.

The context would be like:

A: Do you know Hans?
B: The new guy?
A sends a picture
B: Achso
A: Siehste mal?
share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Em1, lejonet, fifaltra, Wrzlprmft, Vogel612 Jan 24 at 6:45

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Not quite sure I understand the final reaction of A, but siehste is an informal contraction of siehst du. Also see the example 8a on the Duden website. –  Baz Jan 23 at 17:04
This conversation makes no sense. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 23 at 17:10
Funny that A talks first english, then german to B. Not very convincing this is original. –  Ingo Jan 23 at 18:53

2 Answers 2

Siehste mal, which is the colloquial short reduction of Siehst du einmal, can have different meanings depending on the situation context. Here we have

A: Do you know Hans?     / Kennst du Hans?
B: The new guy?          / Den neuen Typen?
A sends a picture        / A schickt ein Bild
B: Achso                 / Oh, I see

The reaction of A as one wants to translate is not very logical because B has already had a look at it, and this question actually comes too late:

A: Siehste mal?          / Schaust du einmal darauf? / Can you have a look now?

Better appropriate would be an exclamation mark (if that was just a typo?) and the meaning would turn into:

A: Siehste mal!          / Da kannst du aber mal sehen! / Look look!

or, without question tag, it could mean a very colloquial short form of:

A: Siehste mal           / Da hast du ihn jetzt mal gesehen. / Now you've seen him.

The word mal (which means einmal) is the time aspect and emphases this moment.

share|improve this answer

A more credible conversation would be:

A: Sei vorsichtig! Die Herdplatte ist noch heiß.

B: (berührt mit trotzigem Gesichtsausdruck die Herdplatte, es zischt kurz) Auu! (weint)

A: Siehste, ich hab's dir doch gesagt! Aber auf Muttern muß man ja nicht hören, gä?

So, siehste is siehst du and siehste mal is siehst du einmal which is roughly equivalent to So, there you have it!

share|improve this answer
It's good that you provided a better example, but you didn't really answer the question since you didn't explain what siehste means. –  Baz Jan 23 at 19:29

(+1) I think it could/should be saved by adding a line. I didin't know what siehste mean, and the example is self-explanatory. –  c.p. Jan 24 at 7:57

»gä«? :-)) Ist das jetzt Westphälisch oder was? ;-) –  Alfe Jan 29 at 11:08

@Alfe Dort hieße es eher "woll?", wa? –  Ingo Jan 29 at 11:10
@Alfe Mit Sicherheit kann ich es nur für Ostthüringen sagen, denke aber, daß es von Sachsen, über Franken und Hessen bis runter zum Bodensee zu hören ist, wobei der Vokal alle Werte zwischen e und a inklusive annehmen kann. –  Ingo Jan 29 at 11:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.