Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What should I use

Dein Name heißt auf/im Spanisch(em) "das neue Land".

or

Dein Name bedeutet auf/im Spanisch(em) "das neue Land".

Which one above is the most common form?

• First confusion for me: using "heißen" or "bedeuten"
  • The second one is: "auf" or "im"
share|improve this question

Ich könnte mir vorstellen, daß dieser Satz überflüssig ist. Zumindest wenn ich Terranova hieße, wüßte ich schon, was das bedeutet. –  Ingo Jan 24 at 11:14

2 Answers 2

The correct usage would be

Dein Name bedeutet im Spanischen: Das neue Land

heißen ist mostly used when you assign a name to something, e.g.

Mein Hund heißt Hector

bedeuten is used when a name or word has a special meaning, is being translated or is being explained, e.g.

resignieren bedeutet aufgeben
(to) translate bedeutet übersetzen

share|improve this answer

Someone please just verify my thought here before I incorporate it into the answer: auf Spanisch --> Akkusativ / im Spanischen --> Dativ? –  SentryRaven Jan 23 at 22:39

I think it is impossible to tell, which case it is in "auf" because I don't think there is an example in which you would have a word that would carry a marker. But just based in feeling, I'd say it is Dative too... I don't feel like there is any directional aspect at all. –  Emanuel Jan 23 at 22:51

Aber auch die in der Frage enthaltene Variante mit Anführungszeichen statt Doppelpunkt ist möglich, oder? Dein Name bedeutet im Spanischen »das neue Land«. –  unor Jan 24 at 22:13

Heißen means to be called

Ich heiße José - I am called José

and bedeuten means to mean

Hund bedeutet dog auf Englisch.

And the correct way to say it is:

Dein Name bedeutet im Spanischen: Das neue Land

share|improve this answer
Hmmm... "Hund heißt auf englisch dog" would be quite as valid. There is some overlap between "heißen" and "bedeuten". –  elena Jan 24 at 8:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.