Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

(a) Ich habe nicht erwartet, dass er dich besuchen wollen hat.

(b) Ich habe nicht erwartet, dass er dich hat besuchen wollen.

Which word ordering is correct?

I've seen that sometimes "hat" is placed in front of the double infinitive. Is this one of those cases?

share|improve this question
I don't know the reason, but my immature Sprachgefühl something tells me you rather need a modal verb like in Ich habe nicht erwartet, dass er dich besuchen (kommen) konnte; I might be plain wrong though. Also, I'm not sure if you need to write kommen. –  c.p. Jan 24 at 20:56

Er hat Dich nicht besuchen kommen, sondern er ist Dich besuchen kommen. Er hat Dich betrügen wollen. Ich ersetze das Beispiel. –  user unknown Jan 25 at 0:49

@userunknown: what's wrong with "besuchen wollen"??? Er wollte dich besuchen, aber du warst nicht da –  Takkat Jan 25 at 11:52

@Takkat: Nichts, aber es war 'besuchen kommen hat', welches 'besuchen kommen ist' wäre, wenn. Bei der Suche nach einem Beispiel stieß ich sogleich auf betrügen wollen und reflektierte leider nicht, dass es am wollen, nicht am betrügen hängt. Du hast übrigens zwei Fragezeichen zu viel. –  user unknown Jan 25 at 12:30

@userunknown this has made the accepted answer not fit the question anymore. Bad idea. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 28 at 8:43
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted
Ich habe nicht erwartet, dass er dich besuchen würde.

-> You will need to use the conditional just like in English. For the double infinitive: This combination will almost never work out, but just to play around, those will be correct:

- Ich habe nicht geglaubt, dass er dich besucht hat (easy)
- Ich habe nicht geglaubt, dass er dich besuchen gekommen ist (not "hat" with kommen!)
- Ich habe nicht geglaubt, dass er dich besuchen können hat

But

Ich habe nicht geglaubt, dass er dich hat besuchen können

is perfectly acceptable, too.

Ich habe nicht geglaubt, dass er dich ist besuchen gekommen

This is akward, but if you want to focus on the fact dass HE visited YOU (really?) it is understandable.

In general you're safe to put it last but there are uses for the middle "hat", not so many for "ist".

Ich glaube nicht, dass er dich hat weglaufen sehen.

Ich glaube nicht, dass er dich weglaufen gesehen hat.

See the difference? It is not always the same, but both are okay.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Double infinitives are used when modals are involved:

dürfen, wollen, mögen, sollen, werden, können

When the helping verb haben is used with modal verbs, the modal verbs stay the same.They don't change into their past participles.

Ich habe den Schlüssel für das Haus nicht finden können.
I was not able to find the keys to the house.

See that the modal verb können did not change in the sentence, but when it stands alone with haben it changes into its past participle.

Ich habe immer dieses Haus gewollt.

When a subordinate conjunction (for example dass, ob) is used the auxiliary verb goes to the end of the sentence.

Ich weiß nicht, ob er den Schlüssel zum Haus nicht hat finden können.

share|improve this answer

The very last sentence is wrong. "Ich weiß nicht, ob er...". The idiomatic ending of this sentence would be "...den Schlüssel gefunden hat". In order to make your point here, you could rephrase this to "...den Schlüssel nicht finden konnte" or "...den Schlüssel nicht hat finden können". Both, however, quite odd while grammatically fine. – I incorporated the last one into your answer. Feel free to rollback, if you disagree. –  Em1 Jan 29 at 7:38

I thought the 'hat' goes to the very end of the sentence?The sentence structure you made is very similar to that of Dutch. –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 29 at 8:01

This is the exception that proves the rule. ;) – Actually, this is valid for any kind of sentences with Ersatzinfinitiv. That infinitive is always in the last position. –  Em1 Jan 29 at 8:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.