Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Heute Abend essen wir erst um 20.00 Uhr.

How does one read the "20.00" Uhr out loud? Is it "zwanzig Uhr" or "zwanzig Punkt null null Uhr"?

share|improve this question
Wir essen schon um acht. –  Ingo Jan 25 at 11:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

You would omit the zeros.

Heute Abend essen wir erst um zwanzig Uhr.

share|improve this answer

It depends. For this case you would normally omit the zeros, as you don't expect people to be there on the minute. So it is (as Lars pointed out)

Heute Abend essen wir erst um zwanzig Uhr.

If you were to eat at 19.30, you'll have to say:

Heute Abend essen wir um neunzehn Uhr dreissig.

oder

Heute Abend essen wir um halb acht.

The following is not commonly used though:

Heute Abend essen wir um neunzehn dreissig Uhr.

If it is really important that it is exactly 20.00, then you would say:

Der Zug fährt im Hauptbahnhof um zwanzig Uhr null null ab.

share|improve this answer
Note that if your information is not supposed to be precise to the minute, you should also omit the zeros in writing (though many people use zeros were they shouldn’t.). Also, if you want to emphasise thatthe information is precise to the minute, you would rather use Punkt zwanzig Uhr instead of zwanzig Uhr null null. –  Wrzlprmft Jan 25 at 8:37

@Wrzlprmft: Yea, agreed. In conversation definitely. But if you say "zwanzig Uhr null fünf" it is usually obvious that you mean to be precise. –  PMF Jan 25 at 8:42
It will be understood, yes. But I never heard anybody actually use it. –  Wrzlprmft Jan 25 at 9:05

Well, the anouncements at the train station are always exactly this way here. –  PMF Jan 25 at 9:09

I was going to answer: Deutsche Bahn is not a good reference for any language, but then I saw where you are located … –  Wrzlprmft Jan 29 at 10:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.