Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Für den Sommer hat mich ein Professor als Praktikant ___.

Which verbs work here?

(a) angenommen

(b) akzeptiert

(c) genommen

(d) zugelassen

share|improve this question
Was sagt Dein Wörterbuch? Wieso zweifelst Du es an? –  user unknown Jan 25 at 22:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

(a)

"A" and "c" are the same, "c" being a shorthand of "a".

"D" does not apply, because he is not just letting you do something, but accepting you. "B" also does not apply since he is not just accepting you being there, but has taken you on as an employee in a work relationship.

Angenommen means he has taken you into his "home", "workplace" as an associate, or intern. Aka, you are now part of his family. However with families you'd say aufgenommen.

He offered you a job. You applied. He accepted your offer (to go on and work for him).

In German for accepting an offer you'd say. Ich nehme Ihr Angebot an. aka. Angebot angenommen.

Eingestellt would work too but has a different connotation. If you want to say you waited half an eternity and he finally accepted, angenommen would be better, I think. If you just want to be matter of fact about it or talk about somebody else in the third person you can say "He has me as Praktikant eingestellt."

PS: In my opinion German is more clear on what to use when vs. English where you can often have multiple verbs for the same purpose.

share|improve this answer
maybe alternatively one could use "eingestellt" (hired). also please explain why d does not apply. Your explanation why b doesn't is IMO a little hard to understand for learners. –  Vogel612 Jan 25 at 16:37

Yeah eingestellt would work too. I like angenommen more since it sounds more grandiose. Eingestellt sounds more pedestrian to me. –  DisplayName Jan 25 at 16:39

Comments are a well meant advice to edit your answer in order to improve it. –  Takkat Jan 25 at 18:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.