Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've found the word stets in some statements and I've learned that it means always, just like immer.

What is the difference between stets and immer?

share|improve this question
Für mich gibt es keinen Unterschied in der Bedeuting von "immer" und "stets". –  Robert Jan 26 at 21:31

Duden says stets = immer, jederzeit so there can't be much of a difference. I was personally thinking a bit along stets = everytime vs. immer = all the time, but I doubt that this nuancing can really be backed by evidence. –  Hagen von Eitzen Jan 26 at 21:57

@Hagen i was thinking along the same lines, but i think i couldn't make my point clear in my answer:( –  Vogel612 Jan 27 at 0:28
'stets' is just an old form of 'immer' –  falkb Jan 27 at 14:17

There is an adjective for "stets": "stetig". But nor for "immer". So you can be "ein stetiger Freund" or "ein stetiger Wind", but not the same for "immer". –  Hans Stricker Jan 27 at 20:50
show 1 more comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

stets:

as you mentioned it means: "always", personally I would prefer "whenever"
wiktionary gives two different meanings:

1. zu jeder Zeit, immer
  2. bei jedem Anlass, jedes Mal, immer wieder

thus we can conclude, "stets" is more than immer about the instance of action.

Er war stets bemüht [...]
~Every time the writer saw him, he strived to [...]

immer:

again: "always", personally I believe as @Hagen von Eitzen said, one should translate as "all the time"
wiktionary here gives different meanings:

1. zu jeder Zeit
  2. in häufig wiederkehrenden Intervallen
  3. immer wenn: jedesmal, wenn
  4. immer + Komparativ: weist auf eine sich zeitlich ändernde Intensität der Steigerung hin

from this we can conclude, that immer is primarily about some "period of time"

Er war immer bemüht [...]
~All the time he was striving to [...]

share|improve this answer

Well, I've seen it in many places, for example messages on the door in WC... But it's in Bavaria... –  Lukasz Jan 26 at 20:06

@ŁukaszL. well bavaria is a different story.. also i come from Baden-Wuerttemberg. we are advanced there ;) –  Vogel612 Jan 26 at 20:12

Do you have anything to back up your personal feelings? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 27 at 13:08

@Carsten unfortunately not, but I have to admit, I didn't conduct further research –  Vogel612 Jan 27 at 13:09

So it is more elaborate but as well researched as the answer which you suggested to delete. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 27 at 15:04
show 5 more comments

The normal word in spoken and written language is "immer". In written language you can find the variant "stets".

Frequent function words often have a variant to avoid repetition in written language. So in this case. If you use "stets" in spoken language it is a bit out of the normal.

What about "stets zu Diensten"? Isn't it normal? Is it written language only? I don't think so. –  Em1 Jan 28 at 9:57

Yes, Stets zu Diensten is a fixed formula. It is a bit stiff and elevated style but it is used in spoken language in this form. –  rogermue Jan 28 at 10:04
add comment

"Stets" has the connotation of "steadily" or "constantly." "Immer" is most often used as the translation for "always." They are similar in meaning, but not exactly the same.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.