Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, these two variants can be said in a letter/message:

I hope this message finds you well.

I hope this message finds you in good times.

In trying to translate, I skipped the first as my potentially poor translation may convey the wrong meaning. However, this is what I came up with for the second instead:

Ich hoffe, dass diese Nachricht dich in guten Zeiten findet.

Is this okay to say or is it weird? I'd prefer the subjective part of the answer come from a native speaker, if possible.

If this is a totally crap, incorrect translation, is there a way to say something similar without deviating too far from the intent of the English phrase?

share|improve this question

The literal translation is ok, however I'm not sure what the original is meant to say. –  PMF Feb 3 at 18:30

@PMF The English phrase is a greeting of sorts. It's essentially saying "I hope you're doing well at the time of receiving this message." –  Dustin Feb 3 at 18:49

I would use erreicht over findet in the literal translation (arives, reaches), because that is a common collocation with Nachricht. –  CoDEmanX Feb 5 at 2:51

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

If the meaning of the English phrasing is the one you mentioned in a comment then there is no direct equivalent in German apart the general wish for someones well being.

Ich hoffe, dir/Ihnen geht es gut. Ich hoffe, es geht ...

This sounds much more personal and hearty I reckon.

share|improve this answer

There are corresponding phrases in German, but they all sound quite formal to me. I assume that they used to be more common.

Two examples that I have found:

Liebe Marlies, ich will nun schließen in der Hoffnung, daß Dich mein Paket wieder bei guter Gesundheit erreicht. Tausend Grüße u. innige Küsse für Dich u. die Kinder von Deinem Atte

Brief: Adolf Dick an seine Ehefrau am 27.11.1942

Nun mein lieber Heinz, für heut will ich schließen in bester Hoffnung, daß dich meine Zeilen bei bester Gesundheit antreffen, wie sie mich heut verlassen haben. Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt aus weiter Ferne von deiner stets an dich gedenkenden Hanni

Arbeitsmaid Hanni Heinze vom RAD Schwarzau an Heinz Klinke im Krieg in Russland, 1942

share|improve this answer

Ich kenne "Ich hoffe die Nachricht erreicht Dich bei bester Gesundheit". –  user unknown Feb 5 at 3:21

"erreicht Dich bei bester Gesundheit" 152 Google hits. "message finds you well/in good health/in good spirits" 740.000/120.000/56.000 hits. The German hits indeed seem to come from texts older people have written. –  Emanuel Feb 5 at 15:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.