Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My family seems to have inherited a word from our parents and grandparents that we cannot define. Might be spelled Losch (with e umlaut). Best I can find is that that root meaning is something that needs cleaning or clearing. I found many compounds that seemed to be about cleaning things. Any ideas about what the word might be and its accurate definition?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Takkat Feb 7 at 7:01

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you give an example of how you would use it in context? i.e. The Lösch tastes great. –  philshem Feb 5 at 21:45
(Feuer) löschen - to put out; to extinguish (fire) ? It could also be "durst löschen" the result of that is to not be thirsty anymore. Context might really be helpful,.. –  Lars Pötter Feb 5 at 22:19
My first idea was Löschpapier - maybe it's related to this. –  knut Feb 5 at 23:02
What do you mean by "with e umlaut"? Do you mean "with o umlaut"? The later would be ö as in Lösch(en), the first would be ë, which is very rarely used in the spelling of foreign names such as Alëuten. –  PMF Feb 6 at 7:03

Your description is not enough to pin down exactly what word you are looking for. Can you give a bit more context? When do you use this word? Is it a noun or a verb or something else? –  Earthliŋ Feb 6 at 23:29
show 3 more comments

1 Answer 1

I believe that the word you want is lösen. That means "to solve." As in to solve a problem.

It can also refer to "cleaning," as a cleaner is otherwise known as a "solvent."

share|improve this answer
Seriously? How did you infer from "Losch (with e umlaut)", which looks like a noun to me, that the OP is looking for the verb "lösen"? –  Earthliŋ Feb 6 at 23:26

@Earthling: Because OP also mentioned "the root meaning is something [a noun] that needs cleaning or clearing. I found many compounds that seemed to be about cleaning." The verb "lösen" is about solving, dissolving, undoing, cleaning, etc. If you want a noun form, it's Lösung. –  Tom Au Feb 7 at 0:04

But it doesn't have an SCH. –  Earthliŋ Feb 7 at 0:20

@Earthling: OP said, "MIGHT BE spelled" (with an sch). He's guessing, by his own admission. So my guess is as good as his. Put another way, I emphasized the REST of his post, that is the definition, rather than the spelling. –  Tom Au Feb 7 at 0:23

Fine. You answered my question "How did you infer...?". I guess someone should post all the other words that start with L and mean something like "clearing, cleaning" and the OP can pick his favourite as answer. –  Earthliŋ Feb 7 at 0:29
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.