Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Die Nudeln sind lecker! Wie machst du die nur?

Was bedeutet nur in diesem Satz?

(In der Regel bedeutet es "only", hier habe ich aber ihre Bedeutung gar nicht verstanden.)

share|improve this question
Es drückt Überraschung aus(?). Wie in "Wie konntest du nur?" –  c.p. Feb 11 at 11:46

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The normal use of "nur" is "only" meaning "not more than". But in the above sentence it has a totally different meaning as Flo excellently explained. I wonder whether we have a term for this kind of adverb use. As I did not know a standard term or found terms that I did not like such as "Füllwörter" I invented a term: Modalitätsanzeiger. In this use "nur" at the end of a question tells something about the emotional state of the speaker, here interest in the answer to this question, interested curiosity and at the same time admiration as c.p. already said.

share|improve this answer

The "nur" emphasizes admiration of the other person's cooking skills in this case.

It could probably be translated like this:

"These noodles are delicious. Just how do you make them?"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.