Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I learn German in one week?

If there is way to listen and talk that will be better.

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Vogel612, Em1, Wrzlprmft, c.p., Emanuel Feb 12 at 9:50

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

For which purpose would you need your German basics after a one-week crash course? –  Takkat Feb 12 at 7:28

I can not understand the second sentence... please someone tell me I'm not dumb.. –  Vogel612 Feb 12 at 7:42
Well, people say german is a very difficult language to learn. I'll say they're right, as I'm still learning it, despite it being my native tongue. So the simple answer to this question is: You can't. –  PMF Feb 12 at 8:13
Nobody can learn a language in one week. –  Em1 Feb 12 at 8:50
@Em1 there was this autistic guy, who learned Finnnish in ten days... –  Vogel612 Feb 12 at 9:45

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

If you want to learn some formulas as Guten Tag, Auf Wiedersehen, Danke, Bitte, Ja, Nein, and so on, I think you can do it in one week. Whether you can call this "to learn German" is another question.

There are books available that promise "Learn German/English in thirty hours" - that is throwing sand in your eyes. They mean thirty lessons of German/English and contain nothing but a basic survey of the basic grammar of a language and perhaps a vocabulary of 500 to 1000 words.

Don't fool yourself. The study of a foreign language is always a study of several years, no matter how many people tell you you can learn German in a week. They want to sell you something. And they promise you the moon.

And studying a foreign language has its price. You need good tools for learning a language. A dictionary for beginners, a bigger dictionary, a good grammar for beginners, course books, audio material, texts for beginners - all that has its cost. And when you engage a private teacher, he has his price too. Good things cost money.

And forget "Crash Courses". What you learn in the one week of a crash course you have forgotten in the next week. Some people think learning a language is another person that fills the language in their mind. No, learning a foreign language is a technique you have to learn for yourself and most people who learn a foreign language know nothing about the technique of learning a language. It is an active thing, not a passive thing that others do for you.

share|improve this answer

I haven't better to say than you have said. Very good words. –  Guilherme Oderdenge Feb 12 at 13:39

actually after this i have to say shame on me :) but can recommend for me some good book or audio lessons and thanks –  Hadi M.NourAllah Feb 13 at 6:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.