Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Looking up what the name of the game Teekesselchen means, I saw that dict.cc translates it as "homonym". It does, though, seem to be a diminutive of Teekessel (teapot).

Can it really be used to mean "homonym" outside the scope of the game?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

People who know the game will use it informally, not in written speech and it can easily happen that people don't know the game. Personally, I will only use it among my family who played the game with me when I was a child.

Maybe it is comparable to people using "Simon says" in informal speech.

share|improve this answer

I would be rather confused by it. I think I've heard of the game once, but never played it and wouldn't be able to link "Teekesselchen" to it. :) Oh, and btw it does not only seem to be a diminutive of Teekessel, it actually is. ;) –  ladybug Jun 7 '11 at 12:23
add comment

I've not known the game, until now and I've never heard anyone say "Teekesselchen" as synonym for a homonym. So I would say: no.

otherwise: maybe you can use it, because someone having a clue of homonyms will know the game.

can you try it?

share|improve this answer

I'll try it next time I get an opportunity. –  Tim N Jun 6 '11 at 14:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.