Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the sentence:

Früher habe ich immer Angst vorm Fliegen gehabt.

What does "vorm" mean?

Dictionary says it means "vor Mittags," but I don't think it fits here.

share|improve this question
While the others are right that this is a contraction of "vor dem", note that if (and only if) you put a period after this, it actually is the abbreviation for "vormittags", which means "before noon". –  Mac Feb 19 at 8:29

There is nothing in this question that could not be answered by a quick internet search of trusted sources, like Duden, Oxford Dictionaries, etc. Why post this as a question? –  teylyn Feb 20 at 7:08

3 Answers 3

It is a shortened vor dem:

Früher habe ich immer Angst vor dem Fliegen gehabt.

See also:

share|improve this answer
Perhaps it's worth mentioning that vorm is a colloquial form (umgangssprachlich). –  splattne Feb 19 at 7:06

It's a contraction of vor dem. It’s similar to shortening von dem to vom.

"vorm" is the short form of "vor dem"

Ich stehe vorm Haus

I am in front of the house.

Ich esse Sinigang vorm Zubettgehen.

I am eating sinigang before bed.

Ich habe Angst vorm Fliegen

I am scared of flying.

"vor dem" does not always mean "in front of" -- for example "Ich habe Angst vor dem Hund" –  thekeyofgb Feb 19 at 2:39

on a sidenote... Zubettgehen is rarely used in written language as there are many shorter and easier to remember alternatives. I also do not hear it in spoken Language as a matter of fact, but that might be due to my age and the fact that I am from south germany.. –  Vogel612 Feb 19 at 16:47

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.