Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this sentence:

Nehmen Sie den Wein aus Deutschland.

what would "aus" mean? "outside" or "from" ? And is this a question? I see the verb and pronoun are switched.

In other words, should I translate this as

1. "Do you take wine from Germany?"
  2. "Do you take wine outside Germany?"
  3. "You take wine from Germany"
  4. "You take wine outside Germany"

Even 4 different phrases I'm unsure of :/

share|improve this question

from, and it's the imperative mood. –  Carsten Schultz Feb 23 at 14:30

oh, I haven't studied that yet so I didn't know it. Thanks! If you make it an answer I'll accept it. –  Marco Feb 23 at 14:30
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It depends on the (in your example omitted) punctuation. If the waiter asks you

Nehmen Sie den Wein aus Deutschland?

he means: "Do you take the wine from Germany?" If he says

Nehmen Sie den Wein aus Deutschland!

he means: "Do take the wine from Germany! I suggest it!". In either case, the wine is supposed to come from Germany. If one talks about exporting wine, then another construction is necessary, such as

Wir exportieren Wein aus Deutschland heraus. (grammatically correct, but bad style)

This does not necessarily imply the wine is from Germany, but may as well.

share|improve this answer

Thanks! German is quite hard for me right now. Constance, patience and some easy subtitled videos on youtube are helping me greatly.. but time is also required :) –  Marco Feb 23 at 15:46
One doesn't use exportieren aus somewhere heraus. If you export something, you name the country you export to. If you import something, you name the contry you import from: Wir importieren Wein aus Deutschland. –  Toscho Feb 23 at 17:05

@Toscho: I agree. I was pointing out the grammatical structure, that this sentence has very bad style is something else :-| –  PMF Feb 23 at 19:17
add comment

Many, many words don't have a single translation into another language. I think "ablegen" has over a dozen totally different translations from German to English. "Aus" is not far off :-)

"aus " means "originating from ". You take the meaning and translate it to the best possible English you can :-) "from Germany" seems fine. "Aus" as a single word would be the location of a ball leving the playing field (tennis, soccer). That's about the only time I would translate it as "outside". "Aus" means "over": Der Film ist aus. The movie is over. Die Schule ist aus. School is over. "Going out" is "ausgehen" ("wir gehen aus").

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.