Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been trying to learn the vocabulary for both 'tight' and 'narrow', but I am having trouble with the translation. There seems to be some overlap. I'll give a couple of example sentences and my attempts at translating them:

1) My belt is tight. = Mein Gürtel ist eng.

2) The road is narrow. = Die Straße ist schmal.

Is this correct? Does 'tight' (as in: tight clothes) translate to 'eng' and 'narrow' (as in: a narrow space) translate to 'schmal'? Thank you!

share|improve this question

Seems perfectly correct to me –  embert Feb 23 at 18:11

That's correct. Tight might also be translated as "knapp", depending on situation. –  Guntram Blohm Feb 23 at 20:50

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Yes your translations are correct, but as you said the meanings of tight and narrow can overlap sometimes.

Your example: "The road is narrow" could also mean "Die Straße ist eng", but "tight and Narrow = Eng und Schmal" should be right in general

share|improve this answer

Also, a narrow spot in an otherwise ordinary road is commonly referred to as "Engstelle". –  Hulk Feb 24 at 16:20

Eng comes from the same root as Angst and has a background of restraint. We could also call it narrow by force.

schmal is related to the English small and talks about the natural state of something.

So, and this is to be taken just as a guide line, you would use eng whenever there is a restrictive force involved whereas schmal is proper for things and persons that are small breadth-wise. If you say

Mein Gürtel ist schmal.

that means that it is a slim belt.

Die Strasse ist eng.

focuses more on how for example the buildings squeeze together the street.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.