Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm an intermediate German speaker and I'm having problems making sense of the following sentence:

Nach Ablauf der genannten Frist ist der Anspruch verwirkt, sofern er dem Arbeitgeber gegenüber nicht vorher erfolglos geltend gemacht wurde.

Even though I understand all the words by now, the meaning somehow doesn't make sense. Any help would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
What parts are you having trouble with. I suppose with the "nicht"? For a law text this is actually rather low complexity. Try replacing "sofern" by "if". –  Emanuel Feb 24 at 22:03

Ist es nicht eine tolle Sprache ...?! ;-) –  alk Feb 25 at 8:12
add comment

4 Answers 4

This seems to be a complete example.

Gegenseitige Ansprüche aus dem Beschäftigungsverhältnis (z.B. aus Mehrarbeit, rückständigem Gehalt/Lohn u.ä.) sind innerhalb von 2 Monaten geltend zu machen. Bei Beendigung des Beschäftigungsverhältnisses sind alle daraus herrührenden sonstigen Ansprüche innerhalb von 3 Monaten nach Beendigung geltend zu machen. Nach Ablauf der genannten Fristen ist der Anspruch verwirkt, sofern er dem Arbeitgeber gegenüber nicht vorher erfolglos geltend gemacht wurde.

This means you have to post any claims within 3 months of the termination of the contract. The last sentence (your question) just clarifies. If you don't (nicht vorher geltend gemacht) your possible claim is forfeited. The "erfolglos" is just filling since it must be a non successful claim otherwise you wouldn't be having a claim after the 3 month period.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Ohne Kontext wissen wir nichts von genannten und ungenannten Fristen. Zur Analyse können wir das genannt unter den Tisch fallen lassen in der Hoffnung, es gäbe ohnehin nur eine Frist von der die Rede war:

Nach Ablauf der Frist ist der Anspruch verwirkt, sofern er dem Arbeitgeber gegenüber nicht vorher erfolglos geltend gemacht wurde.

Wäre ein Anspruch erfolgreich geltend gemacht worden, dann gäbe es wohl keinen Streit. Es gab also einen Anspruch, dieser ist dem Arbeitgeber (AG) gegenüber geltend gemacht worden - leider erfolglos.

Nach Ablauf der Frist ist der Anspruch verwirkt, sofern er dem Arbeitgeber gegenüber nicht vorher geltend gemacht wurde.

Jemand hat also einen Anspruch dem AG gegenüber fristgerecht geltend gemacht, sprich, geäußert oder der Anspruch ist verwirkt.

Der Anspruch kann also verwirkt sein weil man ihn gar nicht, oder nicht fristgerecht geäußert hat.

add comment

Es geht um Forderungen dem Arbeitgeber gegenüber, also sehr wahrscheinlich um Lohn. In der Frage fehlt tatsächlich etwas der Kontext, ich versuche den mal zu konstruieren. Angenommen, der Arbeitgeber hat den Lohn nicht oder nicht vollständig bezahlt, dann muss man sich innerhalb einer bestimmten Frist beschweren. Wenn man sich rechtzeitig beschwert, dann verjährt der Anspruch gemäss diesem Artikel nicht. Wenn aber die Frist abläuft und man sich nicht meldet (oder etwa gar nicht merkt, dass einmal ein Monatslohn nicht bezahlt wurde), ist der Anspruch verwirkt.

add comment

the sentence has 2 parts:

1) after the end of the deadline the demand/claim... is declared void/invalidated,

2) unless the claim wasnt already unsuccessfully (double negative) submitted to the employer before.

I dont know, whether the second part has any meaning in your context. With the double negation, I have a feeling, they just might not want to have the trouble twice. German employment law is the most complicated of all law books in Germany. Employers, companies, landlords write often phrases in contracts, which they want the other contracter to do, but are meaningless in a court. Maybe ask a real German lawyer.

The second part means that, for the claim to remain valid, you have to have made an unsuccessful "claim" to your employer. Example: your employer owes you 1000 dollars. You can prove it. 2 years later you still don't have the money. You go to a lawyer. He asks you whether you have made an attempt to get the money... like writing an official claim to your employer. If you say "Yes, I did, but he wouldn't pay" then the lawyer will help you –  Emanuel Feb 25 at 10:44
There is no double negative in the sentence. –  Toscho Feb 25 at 18:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.