Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to best communicate "Enjoy your workout."

So far I have

Genießen Sie Ihre Übung

But it sounds a bit generic and the word seems to mean more along the lines of "exercise". Which is not necessarily fitness related.

share|improve this question
z. B. Genießen Sie das Training –  embert Feb 25 at 17:00
Workout is one of the words that has "almost" made it to the german language; you won't find it in a "serious" book, but lifestyle magazines use it all the time. So depending on your audience you don't even have to translate it. See fitforfun.de/workout for example. –  Guntram Blohm Feb 25 at 17:51
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Language purists would probably translate it as

Trimm-Dich-Einheit

or simply

Trimmeinheit.

The most common analogy in German is the word itself:

Workout

or combined with other words conveying the phasing meaning

Workout-Einheit, Workout-Session, …

The problem is, that the concept of a workout was created, when the German language simply absorbed English vocabulary without adopting it. And it needs adopting, as the concept of to work out doesn't suit the German view of sports as Turnen. The words trainieren and üben (with their derivatives Training and Übung) suit the German view on sports better, but don't suit workout.

The best analogies are probably Sport machen and ins Gym gehen, which unfortunately don't build suitable derivatives. So, you should get creative (if appropriate) and say

Genießen Sie Ihren Sport. / Genießen Sie den Sport.

or

Genießen Sie Ihre Zeit bei uns.

share|improve this answer

I am a little confused about why you say that the "German view of sports" is Turnen. The link that you provided mentions that those gyms were "were not only athletic, but also political." The context that I had in mind for use here, was just in casual conversation like if we are about to go to lift weights for a short amount of time. But less of the social aspect that is normal at most gyms. –  JGallardo Feb 25 at 18:45
@JGallardo You are right. But this "Turnen" also influenced the language used to talk about sports and consequently the view on sports itself. So, a simple "workout" without that philosophical/political background is hard to translate, because all German terms convey or at least connotate some philosophical/political meaning. –  Toscho Feb 27 at 12:55
add comment

Technically, Toscho's translations are correct.

However, the wording with "genießen" sounds a bit stiff at least to my ears. A more colloquial way of phrasing the same idea is

Viel Spaß beim Workout!

share|improve this answer
I think, the OP's question was about the translation of workout, not of Enjoy. –  Toscho Feb 27 at 12:51

No argument there. :) –  elena Feb 27 at 15:14
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.