Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Living in Germany for quite a while now, working as an architekt, I stumbled over the word "Preisrichtertätigkeit". Anyone a clue what this expression means?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by c.p., Baz, Vogel612, Thorsten Dittmar, embert Mar 12 at 20:16

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Welcome, translation questions are not allowed, since, without a previous attempt, they're not considered a fine point of the language. Please read the guidelines here. –  c.p. Mar 12 at 13:44

However, it is safe to assume here that this word is not contained in any dictionary. –  Wrzlprmft Mar 12 at 16:42
I agree @Wrzlprmft. But even Preisrichter does appear, of course Tätigkei does as well. Now, as I see it, the problem isn't the question, but the lack of an attempt. Suppose, you are not German(-speaking); not only that, but suppose also that you haven't read too much German, and thus, you don't have idea how to divide the word, hence you fail in finding its correct splitting, and instead give it a try to *reisricht*. Then you try searching http://www.dict.cc/?s=*reisricht*, and even so, voilà!, you'd be able to eventually find your word. –  c.p. Mar 12 at 18:15

2 Answers 2

A "Preisgericht" is a jury, mainly in the context of sports and arts. A "Preisrichter" is a member of such a jury. "Preisrichtertätigkeit" basically means that somebody works or worked as a "Preisrichter".

share|improve this answer

Well, to be exact, it means the act of working as a "Preisrichter", not that somebody works as a "Preisrichter". –  Thorsten Dittmar Mar 12 at 15:31

Yes, I was referring to the link in the question (that has now been removed), where "Preisrichtertätigkeit" was used like one point in a CV. –  Matt L. Mar 12 at 16:05

It means being in a jury for a contest in which the participants (or one of them) get prices.

Preis = price, Richter = judge, Tätigkeit = activity, occupation

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.