Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to figure out the grammatical rule in using the ending EN in "irgendeinen" in the sentence:

Hast du irgendeinen dieser Romane gelesen?

Since "the novels" is plural in die Romane, and it's using the genitive in asking whether or not you've read any of these books, I thought the "any" would have been accusative?

The ending with en is usually seen in either dative pleural or masculine accusative, both of which don't seem to fit in the above construction.

I thought the any would then have been irgendeine dieser Romane?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It is accusative singular masculine. "Irgendeinen" is a compund of "irgend-einen" ("any one").

Edit:

The translation of the sentence may help understanding:

Have you read any (one) of these novels?

"Dieser Romane" is genitive plural because it is genitive partitive: the whole (these novels) of which a part (any one) is referred to.

share|improve this answer

But it's talking about the novels, plural. –  user5105 Mar 17 at 9:50

That's a "Genitivus Partitivus". It denotes the whole of which a part is referred to. I'll edit the answer to include this information in more detail. –  elena Mar 17 at 9:54
@user5105... just as "das Auto meiner Eltern" (my parents' car)... parents is plural, yet the verb will be third person singular because "Auto" is the head of the constituent. And so is "irgendeinen" –  Emanuel Mar 17 at 10:44

One of many is still just one. –  Carsten Schultz Mar 17 at 10:50

@Elena, thanks for the edit, it suddenly become crystal clear when you added the "Have you read any (one) of these novels?". And yep, @ Emanuel thanks, it's a good method to try and put another object in the sentence to replace "any". –  user5105 Mar 17 at 18:23

You could also say:

Hast du irgendeinen (Roman) dieser Romane gelesen?

but it sounds weird, because of two times the same word. So you can skip out the first "Roman" and the meaning stays still the same.

So its a accusative with a genitive, called genitive partitive, like in the other answer mentioned. This genitive also works with dative.

Ich schenke dem Bruder meines Vaters ein Buch

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.