Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Wiktionary entry about the word "Level" gives 2 possible genders for that noun, but without explaining, is there any difference between them. Google search also hasn't given me any reasonable answer*.

Is there any difference between der Level and das Level, so it doesn't matter which one I use, as long as I'll be consistent about it, or they are used for different types of "levels"?

* I've found a discussion on gutefrage, where the 2/3 of content were marketing links, and 90% of the rest were trying to offend previous poster

share|improve this question
"gutefrage" - the source of all wisdom. Not. Check it out and see how many answers say "I don't know either...". –  Thorsten Dittmar Mar 18 at 12:52

2 Answers 2

I think there is not really a difference. Everything where "Level" is used, you can use both of them. If it is a pysichal level, the level of a character in a video game or the level as a synonym of map (also gaming context).

Everywhere you can use

"der Level" or "das Level"

Maybe its not clear, because its not a native german word. Synonyms in german woudl be

Niveau (also not native german), Höhe, Ausmaß

That leads me to this post, where the gender of "new" words is discussed.

share|improve this answer

german.stackexchange.com/questions/7260/… ... see also the related posts there. –  Emanuel Mar 18 at 10:45

Your link does not provide the difference between der Level and das Level –  Fraggles Mar 18 at 10:50

I know. I posted it since you linked to a question that has the same topic and for which I voted close (duplicate) –  Emanuel Mar 18 at 11:35

ah okay ... just linked to it because it was opened some hours before –  Fraggles Mar 18 at 11:52

I do not know if my use here is correct, but i use "der Level" when talking about level in relation with a character level (rpg), and "das Level" when talking about a stage in a game or when it is in relation with niveau.

Das Level mit den vielen Pflanzen ist schwer. (talking about a game)

Welchen Level hat Dein Charakter? (talking about character level)

Wir bewegen uns hier auf einem völlig anderem Level. (talking about niveau, 'das Level' here)

I agree to other answers stating that both are correct, as both are commonly used and nothing 'sounds wrong'. Anyway, I would always tend to use it like this, even if i would not correct others who do not. This might be a personal opinion, but since i am a native speaker and feel fine with this, maybe someone has a detailed explanation..

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.