Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I always have trouble to decide what preposition I should use. Is "aus" here the proper word or do I have to use another preposition?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Vogel612, Wrzlprmft, Baz, Emanuel, Ingmar Mar 20 at 19:48

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The two near simultaneous answers show, that your question isn't clear. What is it, that you want to express? –  Toscho Mar 19 at 19:20

You can use the following prepositions with "driving" + "ferry": aus, auf, um, gegen, hinter, vor, in, neben, nahe, entlang, über, unter, zu, bei, an, seitlich... and I am sure there are more. Which preposition to use depends on what you want to say. –  Emanuel Mar 19 at 20:04

As @Toscho already mentioned you should add more context to your question, as (especially with prepositions) context is the strongest influence on what a certain word means. –  Vogel612 Mar 20 at 15:37

3 Answers 3

Saying "Aus der Fähre fahren" isn't quite common in german (but still valid). You would normally say "Von der Fähre fahren".

The difference is

"Aus der Fähre fahren" means "Driving out of the ferry"

while

"Von der Fähre fahren" says "Driving off the ferry"

which is quite more common.

share|improve this answer

Aus der Fähre fahren

implies a closed structure. If it's a rather big ferry you're leaving - like the one below - your fine with it.

enter image description here

More general in use is

Von der Fähre fahren

Can be used even for the big one above. But you would not use aus when leaving this ferry:

enter image description here

Apart from generic prepositions, there are three special ones here:

mit der Fähre fahren → Ich fahre mit der Fähre nach Schweden. (Zielangabe)

auf der Fähre fahren → Ich fahre gerade auf der Fähre über die Ostsee. (Zustandsangabe)

Fähre fahren → Wie fahrt ihr nach Schweden? Wir fahren Fähre. (Methodenangabe)

The case without preposition might sound odd due to the similarity of fahren and Fähre.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.