Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question reminded me of a question that I met when learning German, and I still kind of have it.

What are the differences between these words usage? I thought that "nicht" was used to "deny verbs", while "kein" was used for nouns, but I've met some exceptions (I can't recall any at the moment), and this theory kind of "failed".

So my questions are:

• Which are the main guidelines (dos and dont's) to use these two words?
  • What are the exceptions?

If someone has some more points to ask on this topic that I forgot about, feel free to write a comment and we'll see if it's the case to include them (to make this question as complete as possible).

share|improve this question
This reminds me of the old joke from GDR times, a constumer asking in a department store: "Gibt's hier keine Hosen?" The answer: "Keine Hosen gibt's im 2. Stock, hier gibt's keine Mäntel." (If you understand this, you have mastered the usage of kein.) –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 10 '11 at 10:29
@HendrikVogt: Could you explain the joke? Are there coats on the second floor? –  Tim Nov 20 '11 at 10:24

@Tim: No, there aren't. And that's the point! Does this help? –  Hendrik Vogt Nov 22 '11 at 14:24

@HendrikVogt: Yes, thank you :) –  Tim Nov 22 '11 at 16:44

5 Answers 5

up vote 15 down vote accepted

Ich bin nicht der Bademeister, ich bin ein Gast.

translates to

I'm not the pool attendant. I'm a guest.

while

Ich bin kein Bademeister, ich bin Gast.

translates to

I'm no pool attendant, I'm guest.

The difference, from my understanding, is that at least in this particular exception the first sentence could be said by a pool assistant without lying.

Kein states explicitly that in the past, at the moment and in the foreseeable future I'm not going to be a pool assistant.

share|improve this answer

Is the emphatic difference also registered in German? Reading "I'm no pool attendant, I'm guest." sounds much more emphatic. –  kmm Jun 21 '11 at 22:24

Yes............ –  Max Ried Jun 22 '11 at 6:33
Well, "nicht" refers to "sein" and "kein" to "Bademeister" - so the notion that '"nicht" was used to "deny verbs", while "kein" was used for nouns' remains true. The correct comparisons - as far as meaning is concerned - would be 'Ich bin nicht Bademeister' vs. 'Ich bin kein Bademeister' or 'Ich bin nicht der Bademeister, ich bin Gast' vs. 'Ich bin kein hier angestellter Bademeister [but it could still be my occupation], ich bin Gast', respectively. –  Olaf Jan 5 '12 at 16:48

A sample would help. The distinction is similar to English:

Ich bin kein Trinker. Ich trinke nicht.

is similar to

I'm no drinker. I do not drink.

Although in English you could also use "I'm not a drinker", but here the not qualifies the verb instead of the noun.

I believe that "nicht" means "not" and "kein" means "no(ne)." (While "nichts" means nothing.)

"Ich bin ein Dichter nicht." I am NOT a poet.

"Ich bin kein Dichter." I am NO poet (not to any great degree, anyway).

You're right with your first sentence (which is also implicit in the other two answers). However, "Ich bin ein Dichter nicht" is not a German sentence. I'd say it's impossible to change the word order to make a sentence out of it that sounds natural. The Right Thing here is "Ich bin kein Dichter". –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 14 '11 at 6:17

Auch "Ich habe nicht Geld" is not a German sentence, whereas "Ich habe kein Geld" is. What you can indeed say, similar to the famous Mackie Messer phrase you cited, "Ein Dichter bin ich nicht." So my claim in my first comment was wrong (i.e., it is possible to change the word order appropriately). But please note that the emphasis in "Ein Dichter bin ich nicht" is completely different from the emphasis in "Ich bin kein Dichter". –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 14 '11 at 13:37

@HendrikVogt But you can say "Ich habe nicht einen Cent" ;) –  Em1 Oct 11 '12 at 20:45

Ich weiß dies geht:

„Ich brauche keinen Schlafsack“.

Vielleicht geht:

„Einen Schlafsack brauche ich nicht“

... als ob ich niemals einen Schlafsack brauchte? Klingt mir besser wie „Ich brauche Schlafsäcke nicht“.

Aber wie sieht es mit neun Schlafsäcken aus?

„Ich brauche keine neun Schlafsäcke“

Das klingt mir nicht richtig, aber ist es wohl.

Gibt's vielleicht so einen Sinn?

„Neun Schlafsäcke brauche ich nicht“

Hope I didn't change too much of the original meaning by my edits. –  Takkat Nov 21 '11 at 7:42
Is this a question or an answer, diN0bot? –  John Smithers Nov 21 '11 at 10:45

"Kein(e)(s,r)" is used to negate undefined nouns or pronouns:

Ich habe keine Wohnung. (instead of: Ich habe nicht eine Wohnung)

Keiner sah es. (instead of: nicht einer sah es)

You can, however, use the second expression (in brackets) if you want to emphasize that there is not even one thing of a kind:

Nicht einer meiner Freunde kam zur Party. (not even one friend came to the party)

If you keep to this I think you should get along very well. Of course, there are some "special expressions", but for them look up the Duden.

This answer is much better. –  a-herrmann Nov 2 at 15:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.