Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So we have seen how the crew addresses the Captain in this question; but how about the Chief? At about 3:03:00, Lt. Werner asks the Chief,

Kommen wir je wieder hoch, LI?

and calls him something like »LI«. What is he saying?

Also, the Kaleun said at about 3:07:30:

Gut, LI

[edited to show what surely must be the answer from @Ansgar below and from listening again closely.]

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Carsten Schultz, c.p., Takkat Mar 25 at 9:52

• This question does not appear to be about German language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question appears to be off-topic because it is not about the German language. –  Carsten Schultz Mar 23 at 14:40

This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a very specific dialogue, or a single word from a movie. As such it is unlikely to help future visitors and may possibly lead to an overlong debate as to which word was actually meant. –  Takkat Mar 25 at 9:52

Translations requests from German should be restricted to cases where a profound knowledge of German is needed for understanding a phrase or an idiom. @Takkat and @Carsten, marine or nautical terms can only be clarified by someone familiar with this. As this is a seemingly small percentage of the population, I suggest this is a valid question. –  fbicknel Mar 26 at 1:27
@Takkat: Since it’s from a well-known movie, this can be actually interesting for future visitors and I would consider this to be of general interest. But maybe, we should discuss this on Meta. –  Wrzlprmft Mar 26 at 9:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

If I remember correctly, it is LI (Leitender Ingenieur)

share|improve this answer

Quote: Also, the Kaleun said at about 3:07:30

03:07:29,786 --> 03:07:33,582
Gut, Maat.

I used your give timestamps on three different subtitles files all in all, and the answer i found is Maat. Nothing to be found about Eli or LI so far.

Source: Boot, Das (1981) - Deutsche Untertitel

Maat, der; -[e]s, -e[n] [aus dem Niederdeutschen > mat(e) = Kamerad]:
Dienstgrad: Matrose. Schiffsunteroffizier in der [Bundes]Marine.

• (Seemannssprache, früher) Gehilfe des Steuermanns oder des Bootsmanns auf Segelschiffen.
  1. ein niedriger (Unteroffizier) Dienstgrad bei der Marine.
  2. jmd., der den Dienstgrad eines Maats1 trägt.

Sources: Britannica Encyclopaedia 2010 | PONS Großwörterbuch | Langenscheidt Großwörterbuch

share|improve this answer

you have clearly done your research. I'll go back and listen again. Thanks. –  fbicknel Mar 26 at 1:23

You are welcome fbicknel. Glad i could be of help! –  v2r Mar 26 at 20:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.