German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm curious as to what article/preposition one should use to refer to studying at a university, such as Stanford University (in the USA).

Which ones are correct if I want to say "I study at Stanford (University)"? Should I use an or bei, and should I put in a definite article or not?

(a) Ich studiere an Stanford.

(b) Ich studiere bei Stanford.

(c) Ich studiere an der Stanford Universität.

(d) Ich studiere bei der Stanford Universität.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

(c) Ich studiere an der Stanford-Universität.


Ich studiere in Stanford. (a) and (b) are not ok.

EDIT: I agree that a hyphen is better in the case of (c).

share|improve this answer
(d) is also wrong. The word order in (c) seems unnatural in German (at least to me), you'd rather say Ich studiere an der Universität Stanford. In any case you'd have to add a hyphen in writing: Ich studiere an der Stanford-Universität. Alternatively you may keep the original as it's a proper name: Ich studiere an der Stanford University. – collapsar Mar 21 '14 at 15:51
Sounds very natural to me, but I'm used to "Ich studiere an der Bauhaus-Universität" so I guess I just got used to it. But in contrast to Stanford, "Bauhaus-Universität" is a "brand name". So if you want you be very correct, you are right. – chaero Mar 21 '14 at 17:36
Since Stanford is not really a place, but rather a person, in Stanford may be considered wrong. – Carsten S Mar 21 '14 at 20:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.