Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been trying for some time to figure out the locational adverbs but no success. There are so many and I am not sure which I should use.

Let's take 'up', 'above' ones for example.

What is the difference between:

• droben/daroben
  • oben
  • über
  • hinauf/herauf
  • ober
  • oberhalb
  • aufwärts
  • herüber/hinüber
share|improve this question

Forget about droben/daroben. It's not in contemporary use. And herüber/hinüber actually does not fit into this list. It's like "over here" or "over there", respectively. –  Em1 Mar 25 at 15:50

@Em1 Mit droben/daroben hast du Recht. Aber bei herüber/hinüber wäre ich mir nicht so sicher. „Come on up!“ könnte vielleicht auch „Komm rüber!“ bedeuten. –  Toscho Mar 25 at 19:12

yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/… ... it doesn't cover all of the ones you mentioned but it might give you some useful background/foundation –  Emanuel Mar 25 at 19:55

1 Answer 1

droben/daroben Very old combination of da and oben. It means a concrete oben.

oben means "in some elevated place", for example one of the higher shelves of a cupboard, the management or even heaven. It need not mean the highest place.

über is mostly used as a preposition, not as an adverb and then not as a locality adverb. The adverb über means "more than" or "the rest".

hinauf/herauf means a process that results in a specified, higher place than before. It thus gives a direction.

ober as a single word only used in Austria and there as a preposition having the same meaning as oberhalb. As a prefix ober- is also used in other varieties of German meaning "superiour/elevated".

oberhalb is a preposition meaning "above"="higher or more elevated than something else"

aufwärts means "upwards".

hinüber/herüber means a process that results in a specified place geographically different from the starting place with the connotation of crossing something.

share|improve this answer

Don't forget that ober (and its opposite unter) is used as an adjective in standard German (i.e. not only in Austria), for instance "Im oberen Fach" –  Em1 Mar 25 at 16:01

@Em1 Du meinst sicherlich das Adjektiv obere. duden.de/rechtschreibung/obere_Adjektiv_obere –  Toscho Mar 25 at 18:53

Thank you for the very useful summary. A couple of small questions. - Does this mean oberhalb and über are synonyms (a preposition meaning above smth)? - aufwärts should be the same as nach oben? - If I am staying up on the stairs and talking to someone below for example. I can say 'Komm zu mir herauf.' Can I also say 'Komm zu mir oben (her).' ` –  vlatkovr Mar 25 at 19:35

oberhalb and über (in its generic meaning) are synonyms. Beware, that über is often used for prepositional objects of verbs. -- aufwärts means the same as nach oben, but only in an unspecified manner (If you want to make your crush join you in your upstairs room, you can say "Gehen wir nach oben?" but not "Gehen wir aufwärts?"). -- You cannot say "Komm zu mir oben (her)!" as oben is a place adverb, not a direction adverb as herauf. –  Toscho Mar 26 at 15:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.