Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I bought this can of liquorice. At the back, it lists the ingredients in four languages. But for German, there is an additional row of text below the ingredients which says "ERWACHSENENLAKRITZ - KEIN KINDERLAKRITZ", which means "adult liquorice - not child liquorice".

What's the difference between adult liquorice and child liquorice? As far as I know, there's no similar partitioning in English nor Swedish (my mother tongue).

Is adult liquorice perhaps salt liquorice (salmiak)?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Taken from Wikipedia - Lakritze

Ein weiterer charakteristischer Bestandteil von Lakritzwaren ist Ammoniumchlorid, auch Salmiak genannt. In Deutschland dürfen Lebensmittel ohne Warnhinweis auf der Verpackung nicht mehr als 2 Prozent Salmiak enthalten. Lakritzwaren mit einem höheren Gehalt an Salmiak müssen einen Warnhinweis auf der Verpackung haben. Dieser lautet:

Erwachsenenlakritz – kein Kinderlakritz bei Gehalten über 2 % bis 4,49 %

Extra stark, Erwachsenenlakritz kein Kinderlakritz bei Gehalten über 4,49 bis 7,99 %

share|improve this answer

I'm not that good at German. Does it mean that the liquorice salmiak percentage is between 4.49 and 7.99? –  user5833 Mar 26 at 16:51

Yeah, basically it means if the salmiak percentage is lower than 2% it's Kinderlakritz, between 2% and 4,49% it's called Erwachsenenlakritz and between 4,5% and 7,99% it is Extra stark. –  chill0r Mar 26 at 16:59

@user5833 Actually it means that given the warning you read the salmiak percentage is between 2% and 4,49%. –  Thorsten Dittmar Mar 27 at 10:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.