Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Being new to German, I am not properly affiliated with the correct grammatical use of gibt es and es gibt. All I know is that they both mean there is in English.
So in what scenarios do I use each one of these phrases correctly?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 13 down vote accepted

The German verb has to come second. The first position can be filled with whatever. Thus the phrase "gibt es" can totally be part of statements

Es gibt in Berlin gute Bäcker.

In Berlin gibt es gute Bäcker.

As the other answer already mentions, "Gibt es" is the order you'll find in questions.

Gibt es in Berlin gute Bäcker?

AND it can be also a colloquial response to that very question:

Ja, gibt es. (Yes, there are)

Lastly, it "gibt es" can occur in sentences that use a verb-first structure to express "if".

Gibt es gutes Brot, esse ich gerne Frühstück.

If there is good bread, I enjoy eating breakfast.

share|improve this answer
add comment

"Es gibt X" = "It gives X."

"Gibt es X?" = "Does it give X?"

Keep in mind that "it gives" in German is often more accurately translated into English as "there is." Like, "Es gibt Kuchen" = "There is cake." (Or "Gibt es Kuchen?" = "Is there cake?")

share|improve this answer

Keep in mind also that questions in German are phrased more like in very old English, with the verb at the beginning of the sentence. Whereas today you'd ask, in English, "Do you have any wool?" you could, if you wanted to say it old fashioned, say "Have you any wool?" German questions are more like that. So "Gibt es..." is how you'd start a question. –  Sean Mar 26 at 19:20

I don't think such direct translations are helpful. –  Robert May 27 at 21:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.