Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Has anybody come across reliable ways to know if a masculine noun is weak or not?

Der Präsident... Wir brauchen einen neuen Präsidenten.
Der Held... Gotham braucht einen Helden.

I have noticed that many weak masculine nouns tend to end with an 'e' when in nominative.

der Kunde, der Junge, der Name, der Bote....

I have also read about nouns coming from adjectives also being quite often the culprits for weak nouns.

Any other ideas?

share|improve this question

I guess you should rather take a look at the genitive ending (des Präsidenten, des Helden – des Namens, des Glaubens) –  Em1 Apr 1 at 20:13

How does that help me know if its a weak noun to begin with though? Your idea seems to extend my point one further, by saying that nominative masculine nouns, ending with -e, tens to also get a -ns in the genitive. Or am I missing something? –  Dexter Morgan Apr 1 at 20:26

Not quite. My point actually was that the genitive case is clearly distinguishable. However, if the link in the answer below is correct, you just take a look at the declension table and look for 7 -n endings (still, they don't say that the nominative singular must end in -e, for instance Astronaut). Actually, in conclusion that seconds my first comment. –  Em1 Apr 1 at 20:55

1 Answer 1

This page says that nearly all common masculine nouns ending in -e are weak (with the exception of Käse), though some retain their genetive -s ending after the -n-. That sounds like a pretty reliable criterion.

This page gives some (non-reliable, but helpful) categories for weak nouns.

All the adjectives that form masculine weak nouns I can think of right now end in -e, so I'm not sure if that is useful as an extra criterion.

share|improve this answer

Thanks, that first link is pretty good! –  Dexter Morgan Apr 1 at 20:39

Please try to summarize the main points of links you provided, in case they go offline. for more information, see How to Answer –  Vogel612 Apr 2 at 11:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.