Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently reading Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

I am managing to comprehend a bit of it (I'm far from fluent in German) although the first sentence in the book is really confusing to me.

What I can't seem to understand is the following sentence:

Mr. und Mrs. Dursley im Ligusterweg Nummer 4 waren stolz darauf, ganz und gar normal zu sein, sehr stolz sogar.

I would interpret that as:

Mr and Mrs Dursley in the number 4 Privet Drive were proud (on it?) absolutely proud to be normal (very proud even?).

This just doesn't make sense in my opinion but maybe I'm over analyzing it? I just can't see what the need is for the words darauf and sogar in this sentence. I'd appreciate any clarification greatly.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

The english term would be "proud of it", and the second part would indeed be "very proud even".

to be proud of something translates to auf etwas stolz sein. Using darauf instead of auf makes the sentence reference something which came before or afterwards in the sentence. Compare:

• Er ist stolz auf sein Fahrrad. ("He is proud of his bicycle.")
  • Er hat ein Fahrrad und ist stolz darauf. ("He has a bicycle and is proud of it.")
  • Er ist stolz darauf, ein Fahrrad zu haben. ("He is proud of having a bicycle.")

The darauf references the "ein Fahrrad haben", the "act" of having a bicycle.

share|improve this answer

Wo ist das sogar? :) –  c.p. Apr 3 at 11:35

Very proud indeed. –  Alex Apr 3 at 13:38
add comment

One translation would be

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley were proud of being normal through and through. Very proud actually.

As Frerich said in his answer, the darauf indicates that the thing of which they are proud will be described in the following part of the sentence.

The word sogar means even/actually/as a matter of fact.

add comment

Closer look on "darauf":

[Ich habe ein Fahrrad.]
Ich bin stolz auf das Fahrrad. >> I am proud of the bike.
Da bin ich stolz drauf. >> Of that , I am proud. ("Da" -> "that" -> having a bike)
Ich bin stolz darauf. >> I am proud of it. ("it" -> having a bike)

Directly translated, "Stolz darauf sein" or - splitting "darauf" - "Stolz da drauf sein", means something like "Being proud on that".

The r is a binding letter:
"... auf das ..." -->> "... drauf ..." [on that / of that]
"... in dem ..." -->> "... darin ..." [in{to} that]
"... um das (herum) ..." -->> "... darum (herum) ..." [around that]

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.