Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've always learned that the article for Dativ Plural is 'den', for example

Ich kenne die Frauen, den man Bücher schenkt.

My Duden grammar agrees with me, but it is more common to see forms such as this:

Ich kenne die Frauen, mit denen er spricht.

My understanding is then that 'denen' is the relative pronoun, and 'den' is the article. Is this correct? 'Denen' is new to me.

share|improve this question

Your first sentence is not correct/incomplete and thus a bit ambiguous... both "den" and "denen" can be Dativ plural. –  yankeekilo Apr 8 at 6:05

Yes, denen is a relative pronoun, and you must have misread the Duden, because your first sentence is certainly wrong. –  Carsten Schultz Apr 8 at 6:29

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

You're right with your statement that den is the article and denen is the relative pronoun.

That said, in your first example you need the relative pronoun, not an article. Note that an article always precedes the noun. In the following examples I marked the articles and pronouns.

Ich kenne die[article] Frauen, denen[relative pronoun] man Bücher schenkt.
Den[article] Frauen, mit denen[relative pronoun] er spricht, schenkt man Bücher.

share|improve this answer

Thanks, that's cleared it up. –  pdah Apr 8 at 8:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.