Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Besuchen Sie uns ___ www.abc.net.

What would be the preposition here? Is it "an" or "bei" or some others?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 10 down vote accepted

"auf" would be the choice here. You can find numerous examples by doing a web search for "auf www".

"an" does not fit. "bei" would have a meaning of "near" or "close to" in this context which would sound weird for a web address.

Edit:

As suggested in the comments, "unter" is also good in this case. There is a subtle difference though: "auf" refers to the site, "unter" to the address.

Besuchen Sie uns auf (unserer Website) www.abc.net

Besuchen Sie uns unter (unserer Adresse) www.abc.net

These work equally well for the given example. A welcome message on the other hand should refer to the site:

Willkommen auf www.abc.net

Using "unter" would look weird in this case. You welcome people to your site, not your address.

share|improve this answer
I think I've heard once unter. Aber das klingt vielleicht nach Telefonnummer. –  c.p. Apr 9 at 1:55

would maybe be interesting to compare the amount of google results for the phrase ;) –  Vogel612 Apr 9 at 6:08
auf und unter werden nahezu gleichhäufig verwendet. –  Em1 Apr 9 at 6:47
I guess I'd say „Sie finden uns unter...“ and „Besuchen Sie uns auf...“. –  Carsten Schultz Apr 9 at 7:04
Andreas you should add "unter" since it is also widely used and perfectly correct –  Alex Apr 9 at 8:03
add comment

The German verbal prefix be- is a hint that the verb is transitive. So the simplest construction would be:

Besuchen Sie unsere Webseite.

Besuchen Sie uns auf unserer Webseite is another possibility, as already said above.
In connection with Seite "auf" is used.

Das steht im Buch auf Seite 17.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.