Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that this two words Ereignis and eventuell are related, but I would like to know more about what makes them different.

Translating them into my native language, Portuguese, they both translate into "evento," which translates roughly into "event" in English.

And, if possible, I would like to know the meaning-in-context using Heidegger.

share|improve this question
Ereignis is a noun, meaning event. Eventuell is an adjective or adverb, meaning possible or possibly, respectively. A dictionary had told you. So, what was your question again? –  Em1 Apr 11 at 14:59

I see you are new here, so, welcome. Second, and most important, you must look up that words in a dictionary before asking here. (I'd link here the meta discussion to questions about differences, but the meta is now unaccessible). –  c.p. Apr 11 at 15:34

I looked in a dictionary and I think the problem is in translating to portugese or in portuguese itself. I got the information here that both means 'evento' (event) and only it. But one I use as 'acontecimento' (happening - Ereignis) and was wondering how to make the difference. Maybe could I use Vorkommen? –  Gail Apr 11 at 15:47

@Gail "Vorkommen" would be "occurance". Can you eventuell give some context/examples of usage? –  Hagen von Eitzen Apr 11 at 16:05
The OP has an unusual problem insofar as Portuguese, not English, is her native language. She appears to have a valid concern insofar as something has been lost in the DOUBLE translation, first into Portuguese, then into English. After I edited the question to articulate this concern, I was wondering if the question can be reopened. –  Tom Au Apr 16 at 14:49

2 Answers 2

To sum up the confusing comments and semi-answer:

The two words eventuell and Ereignis are NOT (semantically) related.

Das Ereignis is a noun and can be translated as the event.

eventuell is an adverb and can be translated as maybe, perhaps, possible, etc.

Eventuell gehe ich heute Abend zum Fußball spielen. -> Maybe I will go play soccer tonight.

Ich weiß nicht, ob dieses Ereignis eintreten wird. -> I don't know if this event will happen.

I don't speak Portugese and I don't know which translator or dictionary you used to look up these two words, but the first online translator I found translates evento correctly into Ereignis. Translating eventuell yields por acaso or possivelmente.

share|improve this answer

Eventuell is similar to Vielleicht (maybe, sometime (in the future))

-

Ereignis is similar to Ereignis (event)

They are not really related. Unless you want to say:

Vielleicht wird eventuell ein Ereignis eintreten.

share|improve this answer
German eventuell and English eventually are false friends. Eventuell is maybe, possible. It does not mean irgendwann. –  Em1 Apr 11 at 14:57

And they are of course related. "eventuell" means "by some (unforeseeable) event". –  Toscho Apr 11 at 16:48

"Ereignis" is similar to "Ereignis"? Is that a typo? –  Emanuel Apr 11 at 20:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.