Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was hearing a german song by Eisbrecher music band. Song called "Augen unter Null".

Augen unter null -

Sehen das Ufer nicht,

Einsam abgetaucht

Und kein Land in Sicht.

I think it's a kind of idiomatic expression. Can you explain the meaning of it?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Augen unter Null as a whole isn't an idiomatic expression. But unter Null is. It means "lower than 0 m above ground/sea level" which is equivalent to "below ground/sea level" (here: sea level).

All in all it means here:

eyes which are below sea level

share|improve this answer

Thank you, but does "eyes which are below sea level" makes sence here? –  optim1st Apr 13 at 17:26

@optim1st At least the "abgetaucht" supports this interpretation. But if you suggest that there are better metaphors, I'm with you. –  Landei Apr 13 at 17:55

@optim1st Yes. The whole lyrics are about the world below sea level. The eyes convey the impression, that it's about some individual experiencing this. –  Toscho Apr 13 at 19:36

Without any context, "unter null" usually refers to freezing temperatures. They are below zero on the Celsuis scale. (I know this isn't what is meant here, but this is the more usual interpretation of that phrase.) –  elena Apr 14 at 7:10

Sounds like a U-Boot reference, i.e. below sea-level.

Could be a lyrical euphemism for tearing up.

Hopelessness is implied by 'seeing no shore'.

I like hopelesness explanation. –  optim1st Apr 13 at 17:24

+1. The rest of the text also seems to be talking about submarines. –  PMF Apr 13 at 17:53

@PMF: Yes, but only in the manner of an analogy. songtexte.com/songtext/eisbrecher/… "Wellen der Verzweiflung Brechen über Dir In der kalten Strömung Treibst Du weg von mir" ... –  Christian Benesch Apr 14 at 7:25

This is not an idiomatic expression. "null" refers here to the sea level, which is (not very frequently) referred as "Normal-Null" in German.

Often "unter null" means temperatures under 0°C, but this wouldn't make sense here.

If it is connected to the temperature can we translate it as "frozen look"? –  optim1st Apr 13 at 17:22
@optim1st I would say this would be a little bit far-fetched, as everything else revolves around the "sea" topic. You can say "kalter Blick", "kalte Augen" etc directly, "Augen unter null" would be a very encrypted version to express this thought. –  Landei Apr 13 at 18:01

I would say "Augen unter Null" taken as a single expression is nonsense. Here in this verse it is a poetic picture that gets its sense only from the other lines. If you are diving you don't see the land, a cheap truism. But you can't use the expression in any other context as it is nonsensical.

Thank you, now I see it. –  optim1st Apr 14 at 6:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.