Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can somebody try to explain in short, when it is appropriate to use bezüglich and when it is not?

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by Vogel612, Ingmar, Carsten Schultz, Baz, Em1 Apr 14 at 9:29

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Regarding your question... Did you try to answer the question yourself before asking? –  Em1 Apr 13 at 17:23

Do you have any examples on how you think you would use it or not? –  PMF Apr 13 at 17:51

Why "in short" - either you are interested in an answer and getting smarter or not.. –  user3135691 Apr 13 at 17:59

In short, because I though that it could be more complex matter. Yes, I have tried to answer the question. Example of use: Can I talk with you about your mother? I want to join the cause, if it is about a fair cause. Is this question of money or is it about something else? –  Deyan Totev Apr 13 at 20:40
@TomAu i think the edit you performed is not a good edit. I don't see any reason for editing the question to talk about an abbreviation. The 'in short' previously i that question has nothing to do with the length of the word, but is a request to keep anwers short and understandable. For these reasons I rolled back. If you disagree, I suggest you chime in on German Language Chat and Ping me. I'll be lurking around there the whole day tomorrow... –  Vogel612 Apr 16 at 21:11
show 3 more comments

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

"bezüglich" is normally not used in colloquial language. It is cumbersome written language, meaning concerning. It is often used when it is a bit difficult to find an appropriate preposition. A variant for "bezüglich" is "in Bezug auf". In English concerning.

share|improve this answer

That was the info I was after. Thanks! –  Deyan Totev Apr 14 at 11:13
add comment

As you like it short:

Using bezüglich is appropriate, if you want to explicitely refer to something.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.