Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just started learning German through DW online courses. I can not find how to type the capital ß (ẞ, this one is copied :) ) on the German keyboard of Windows 8.

share|improve this question
You might also want to take a look at this question. The ẞ is only for all-caps, so you likely don’t need it for now. –  Wrzlprmft Apr 14 at 8:51
@Wrzlprmft, pray tell, how did you glean that this was about the capital letter, coz the OP never said so. –  teylyn Apr 14 at 9:53
I didn't even know a capital ß existed, it's usually exchanged by a double s when something is written in all caps. Although the question linked by Wrzlprmft seems to suggest that it becomes more frequent. –  Kodama Apr 14 at 10:40
Delete Windows 8 and install a good operating system. Or look here: scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/… –  Toscho Apr 14 at 13:53
Just to clarify: The original question used U+1E9E (Latin Capital Letter Sharp S, ẞ) and not U+00DF (Latin Small Letter Sharp S, ß). All I did was adding “capital ß” in order to make this more clear for users who cannot see the difference for technical reasons or because they did not spot it. (And in particular I did not change the topic of the question at all.) Whether the capital eszett in the original question was intentional or not is something only the OP knows. @KareemErgawy: Could you please confirm or refute this? –  Wrzlprmft Apr 15 at 8:38

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

As I understand your original question, you are after the regular lower case ß.

You can find it on a German keyboard layout: the letter ß is one key to the right of the number zero(0). As others have suggested, the upper case use of ß is normally substituted by SS.

I am typing this on a laptop with Windows 8, where I can use a shortcut key to switch between different keyboard layouts.

If you have a touch device you may need to install the keyboard layout for German to see the key on the on-screen keyboard.

share|improve this answer
The question is about the capital ß (and I edited it so it to make this clear). –  Wrzlprmft Apr 14 at 8:46

Thanks. My keyboard doesn't have German letter printed on the keys (its English/Arabic). I looked up this Wiki article en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout the ß character is mapped to another location on the keyboard. Anyway your answer solved the problem, thanks –  Kareem Ergawy Apr 14 at 8:47

I have a German keyboard and if I should ever feel the unlikely desire to type such a nonstandard symbol, something like thie might help me out –  Hagen von Eitzen Apr 15 at 13:06

Officially, there is no such thing. Yes, some typographers have designed a ß to better go along with other capital letters, but it's still a (very) far cry from universal adoption.

Since there are no words starting with ß you'd only need it for all caps. Just use SS for now, is my advice, if you must.

In Gendering environments this sentence is dangerous. They may write anything in uppercase, if they seem fit. –  Toscho Apr 14 at 13:51

I am not sure I follow. Are you talking about a word like StudentInnen? I fail to see how that relates to my advice to use SS instead of ß when using capitals. It's what Duden recommends, after all. –  Ingmar Apr 14 at 14:11

Since there are also capitals inside words, you may not only need ẞ in all-caps. –  Toscho Apr 14 at 16:03
Can you think of a single case where you'd need (or, want) a capital ß inside a word, while the rest stays in lower case? I certainly can't. Whatever your opinion of it, it's called Binnen-I for a reason. –  Ingmar Apr 14 at 17:18
It is true that both Geschoss and Geschoß are legal variants, but what has choosing one version over the other to do with gender discrimination? Contrary to what some might believe, those "gender people" don't throw around random capitals in their words, they actually have a purpose: StudenInnen is meant as shorthand way to denote both "Studenten" and "Studentinnen", e.g. Using a capital ß would not serve any such purpose (not one that I could see, anyway). –  Ingmar Apr 15 at 4:22

There is no capital ß as a and A in current German written language, even thought it appears to have an Unicode code.

Only when using it for small caps there is a need for it, but this isn't a real letter but more a type of font (as a in small caps would also be).

Oh I have to correct myself ... –  frlan Apr 15 at 10:03

You don't, really. Even Wikipedia clearly states: Sie ist nicht Bestandteil der amtlich verbindlichen deutschen Rechtschreibung. ("... not part of the officially binding rules of German orthography.") The Unicode consortium, on the other hand, likes to cover their bases, and there's nothing wrong with that. (Those are the guys who thought Klingon needed a place in there, too. Capital sharp s? Yeah, we've got that.) –  Ingmar Apr 15 at 10:43

I use the alt codes, which work in certain formats. This does not require you to have a new keyboard, download any programs, install any software, or continually copy paste. However, not all programs will accept alt codes.

You hold down alt, type a few numbers, then release alt. Remember to engage Num Lock if using the keypad.

ß = alt + 225

Other unique German letters:

• ä = alt + 132

• Ä = alt + 142

• ö = alt + 148

• Ö = alt + 153

• ü = alt + 129

• Ü = alt + 154

There are also alternate codes for all of these, using four numerals:

• ß = alt + 0223

• ä = 0228

• Ä = 0196

• ö = 0246

• Ö = 0214

• ü = 0252

• Ü = 0220

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.