Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the following two sentence:

Kann ich dich küssen?
Darf ich dich küssen?

Both verbs mean "can", so what's the difference between "dürfen" and "können"?

I've tried to make a search on dictionary, the two words seems to mean similarly like can and may, but I would like to know if they sound exactly like that.

share|improve this question
"Can" vs "May". You likely "can" kiss him/her but if he/she don't like to, you're "not allowed to". –  Em1 Apr 14 at 9:26

I really dislike this question. You show no effort whatsoever. Please read this meta post for some more information. As the question is currently formulated, it does not provide enough context to give an answer tailored to your problems. –  Vogel612 Apr 14 at 12:14

@Vogel612: I'm very sorry that you really dislike this question. This sentence sounds very strong. I really dislike some really bad stuffs, not a question.. Consider that the perceived reality is strong subjective. You have interpreted my question as showing no effort, and you probably hate the lack of effort. But this tells much more on your psychology and interpretation of reality than on the question itself. It says that you are easily at judging and that you consider your judgement as true. When I posted this question I already found the answer, but my belief was that it could bring –  Revious Apr 14 at 12:39
@Revious I gave exactly that reason in the comment. This tells me 2 things. 1. You are quick to judge too, 2. You misunderstood the intention of my comment. This comment was not to judge you. I wanted to give you information on why I might vote to close. Quoting: "it does not provide enough context to give an answer tailored to your problems". Your other question shows some effort. You mention you looked at some dictionaries. Why not in this question too? I suggest you visit me in German Language Chat, there we can continue this discussion. –  Vogel612 Apr 14 at 12:46
@Revious well it would not be my opinion if I not considered it true ;) I probably have chosen too strong words to express my concerns. I apologize for that. Try to explicitly mention such thoughts in the questions you ask. That makes it easier for users to provide good answers and also leads to higher quality answers which will help you more than general answers, that are partly / largely a repetition of what you already know. –  Vogel612 Apr 14 at 12:56

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

"Darf ich" means "am I allowed to" or "may I", while "kann ich" means "can I".

Same as in English, the expression "kann ich" is often also used when asking for permission, but the main difference between the two is, that "kann ich" means to have the ability to do something, while "darf ich" only means to have the permission to do it.

Another example would be:

Darf ich nach Hause gehen? --> May I go home?

Kann ich nach Hause gehen? --> Can I go home?

Of course they both ask for permission in the context, but literally you can also do it without having permission. So literally you can although you may not, so "du kannst, obwohl du nicht darfst". Usually they are used interchangably in such questions, same as "may" and "can".

"Kann ich" is generally more informal, and "darf ich" asks more directly for one's personal permission, so in your example "Darf ich dich küssen" sounds more appropriate to me.

share|improve this answer
Kann ich dich küssen?

Is translated with:

Am I able to kiss you?

While

Darf ich dich küssen?

is translated with:

Do I have the permission to kiss you?

können refers to ability or possibility. dürfen refers to permission by another person. But in colloquial language können is often used instead of dürfen, especially when talking to persons of equal standing.

I am sorry, but your answer adds no value to already given answers -1. Feel free to visit German Language Chat and discuss that matter with me there ;) –  Vogel612 Apr 14 at 12:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.