Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that

geradeaus

means straight. But I also heard its variation:

gradeaus

Is it appropriate to say or write this word like this?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Its meaning is the same.

Gradeaus

is a kind of idiom. The written word is always

Geradeaus

both words are translated to straight.

share|improve this answer
Are you sure that you mean "idiom"? –  Carsten Schultz Apr 14 at 13:54
Slang / Jargon trifft es nicht ganz, da es doch ziemlich weit verbreitet ist (zumindest im Süden Deutschlands). Es ist eher ein Wort welches ich den Dialekten zuordnen würde daher "idiom" (dict.cc/?s=idiom) –  chill0r Apr 14 at 19:09

Das ist kein Idiom, da kein anderes Wort, ein unbetontes "e" wird in vielen Dialekten einfach weggelassen. –  adhominem Nov 9 at 14:01

"Gradeaus" is a contraction for "geradeaus."

Think of geradeaus spelled with an apostrophe instead of the first e: g'radeaus.

where I am from (Swabia) we even further contract it to gradaus ;) –  Takkat Apr 16 at 18:34

@Takkat: Good to know. Is Swabia the home of "Auf der Schwaebscher Eisenbahn"? –  Tom Au Apr 16 at 18:54

it is: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/… ;) –  Takkat Apr 16 at 19:04

In spoken language unstressed e often is omitted. You can hear gerade, grade and grad. It's all the same. But you write gerade.

It also depends on the location you are in. In South Germany, they say gradeaus, but in the north, they say greadeaus.

Do you have any evidence for your claim? Maybe a map? Additionally google says: gradeaus is a non-correct spelling... –  Vogel612 Nov 9 at 13:00
Did you really want to write greadeaus instead of geradeaus? (I did not correct it, because it might be intended.) –  Wrzlprmft Nov 9 at 13:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.