Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My friend is in jail for burglary and to get him out, you have to pay 5,000 dollars. How do you say to bail someone out in German? Can I say Jmdn aus dem Gefängnis herausbringen or does it have to be idiomatic ?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

It's

jdn. aus dem Gefängnis holen

share|improve this answer

I am not sure this is a good suggestion - it includes any way of freeing the person, e.g. with force, by blasting a hole into the prison, or by bribing some official ... –  O. R. Mapper Oct 5 at 20:49

The whole concept is a little bit different over here. If somebody is taken into pre-trial custody, there's usually a good reason for that. Sometimes a "Haftverschonung gegen Auflagen" is possible, but you're deep into lawyers' turf here.

"Put up bail, get out of jail" (for now) is nowhere near as automatic as in the US, where sometimes only the amount seems to be in question.

That said, "(die) Kaution stellen" would be an idiomatic expression.

share|improve this answer
There are (ASFAIK, I'm no lawyer) exactly three reasons one might be kept in pre-trial custody: 1. There's risk of fleeing, 2. The suspect could be performing another crime, 3. The suspect might try to wipe evidence. All of course in the view of a "Staatsanwalt" (~ county attorney). Hardly anthing of this can be prevented by money. –  PMF Apr 24 at 19:09

Well, the flight risk could be greatly reduced by some additional measures (surrender your passport, perhaps report at the local precinct regularly, etc.), especially if you're "fully integrated", i.e. have a job, a family and a place to live. This is not true, granted, if you are held for fear of re-offending or suppression of evidence. –  Ingmar Apr 24 at 19:25
I agree. That's why some citizen of the local town (with maybe even a familly there) is less likely to be kept in custody for reason #1. –  PMF Apr 24 at 20:11

Bail ("Sicherheitsleistung") is possible if "Fluchtgefahr" is the main reason for pre-trial custody ("Untersuchungshaft, short: U-Haft). It is laid down in §11a STtPO: gesetze-im-internet.de/stpo/__116a.html –  Veredomon Oct 2 at 19:56
Ob die Praxis üblich ist oder nicht, hierzulande, bedeutet nicht, dass man nicht in Muttersprache über die Vorgänge, wie sie etwa in den USA sind, reden könnte. Eine Unzahl an synchronisierten Filmen aus den USA beweist es. :) –  user unknown Oct 3 at 16:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.