Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ben walked into the room and her heart skipped a beat.

Ben betrat das Schlafzimmer und sie wurde überrascht.

How do you say "your heart skips a beat" in German? Can I use "überraschen" in this context?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

In the context of fright or fear common German idiomatic expressions are:

Ihr stockte vor Schreck das Herz.
Ihr blieb vor Schreck (fast) das Herz stehen.

share|improve this answer

But be aware of the difference: "skipping a beat" is a short heartbeat-anomaly, "Ihr blieb fast das Herz stehen" equals a near-death experience. –  Twinkles Apr 22 at 13:57

@Twinkles: people still say that... they also say "ich bin vor Angst (fast) gestorben" or "Ich habe mich zu Tode erschrocken" which obviously was not true. ;) –  Takkat Apr 22 at 15:09

Stockte das Herz? Das ist wohl eher die wörtliche Übersetzung die zumindestens sehr ungebräuchlich ist. –  schlingel Apr 30 at 8:00

Vielleicht wird es weniger gehört, weil es zum gehobenen Wortschatz gehört oder weil die Verwendung weniger wird. Ungebräuchlich ist es aber definitiv noch nicht. –  Takkat Apr 30 at 8:21

Since the literal translation is not common in German you should search for other idioms that would fit better depending on context, like one of these:

"Ihr stockte der Atem" (surprised/shocked)

"Ihr blieb der Atem weg" (surprised/awed)

"Ihr schlug das Herz bis zum Hals" (nervous/scared)

"Ihr fiel das Herz in die Hose" (surprised/terrified)

"Ihr Herz schlug höher" (excited/adrenaline-rushed)

I'd favor

Ben trat ins Zimmer und ihr Herzschlag setzte für einen Moment aus.

Für einen Moment would emphasize the temporary nature of her surprise – in fact she might have been shocked that much that her heart would not start to beat again.

However, the difference to Michael's answer is very subtle and most readers / listeners would understand it in the same way.

I would not use überraschen in this context; I think it is not strong enough. You might opt for other idiomatic expressions:

• Sie erstarrte vor Schreck. (She froze for fright)
  • Sie war zu Donner gerührt. (She was thunderstruck)

which aren't as close to the original, though.

The closest idiom would be:

Ben betrat das Schlafzimmer und ihr Herz setzte aus.

"sie wurde überrascht" is of course the implied cause.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.