Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A policeman found a runawaywalking along highway 75.

Ein Polizist hat eine Fliehende auf dem Highway 75 entlang gehen finden.

Alot of suggestions came up for the word "runaway" and I chose only two words that fit the context: Fliehende and 'Davonläuferin'.
Which word is appropriate in this context? Furthermore, I am not even sure if finden is the right word in this context. I wonder if I can use auffinden in this context.

share|improve this question

Fl*ie*hende, bitte! –  Ingo Apr 23 at 8:02

actually my dictionary does offer many translations but not those you list: dict.leo.org/#/… - you should definitely consider to consult a different dictionary! –  Takkat Apr 23 at 8:09

That's what i used :) –  DerPolyglott33 Apr 23 at 8:10

4 Answers 4

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I would suggest the term Ausreißer in this context. The proper translation would then be:

"Der Polizist fand einen am Highway 75 entlanggehenden Ausreißer (eine entlanggehende Ausreißerin)"

I am aware of the fact that this is more complicated but in my book this would be a good translation. Easier but still correct:

"Der Polizist fand am Highway 75 einen Ausreißer (eine Ausreißerin)."

Hope this helps

share|improve this answer

Does that mean a girl who run away from home? Because Flüchtige sounds like the girl escaped from prison. –  DerPolyglott33 Apr 23 at 8:39

I removed the commas and the gender-inclusive shorthand. I'm all for it, but you really should use the long form, especially when addressing learners of German. –  Ingmar Apr 23 at 9:03

Ausreißerin: typically a teenager running away from home or an institution

Hmmm, Google translate gives me:

der Ausreißer runaway, stray bullet

der Ausbrecher escapee, jailbreaker, gaolbreaker, runaway

der Flüchtling refugee, fugitive, runaway

Also possible IMHO:

der/die Flüchtige

However, we can't use constructs like "entlang gehen finden". Looks like you want tell too much in one sentence.

Ein Polizist hat die Flüchtige gefunden, als sie den Highway 75 entlang ging.

I would say

"Der Polizist fand einen Ausreißer (eine Ausreißerin), der/die am Highway entlang ging.

or

"Der Polizist fand einen Ausreißer (eine Ausreißerin) am Highway entlanggehen.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.