Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for an English/German word for the term "in progress" (or "in process"). I search for this term in relation to the life cycle of a project, which (in my specific case) are:

• open
  • accepted
  • in progress
  • closed
  • rejected

... which would be in German:

• offen
  • angenommen
  • in Umsetzung
  • umgesetzt (or abgeschlossen)
  • abgelehnt

And in strikes my understanding of aesthetic that "in progress" and "in Umsetzung" is a two worder. Do you have anything else to offer? Any help appreciated.

share|improve this question

Sorry I didn't point it out well enough. I'm not looking for a "better" word for "in progress" or "in Umsetzung" (albeit I appreaciate your thoughts on that!), I was simply forced to find a one worder in both languages as an answer to the "function follows form" paradigma. Anyway: Thanks to all of you! –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:50

Autoren der Frage können diese umformulieren - das gehört nicht in einen Kommentar. Die Frage soll ohne Lesen der Kommentare verständlich sein. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:02

9 Answers 9

up vote 5 down vote accepted
  • open - eröffnet
  • accepted - angenommen
  • active - aktiv
  • closed - abgeschlossen/beendet
  • rejected - abgelehnt

Personally I still prefer the two word phrase "in progress - In Bearbeitung" in this context.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for "active/aktiv". Actually something I was looking for, no matter if appropriate for project life cycle terms. –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:44

I chose to accept this answer as it is the first which properly answers my question (a one worder in both languages). Thanks! –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:51

Projektmitarbeiter sind aktiv - aber nicht das Projekt selbst. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:05

You would not say in Umsetzung in German. Correct would be wird umgesetzt, for your case I would use the short term in Arbeit or semantically better, but longer in Bearbeitung.

For the sake of completeness you should note that läuft is a commonly used slang word but definitely nothing to use at work. –  cr0 Apr 24 at 12:26

Interesting, but with no attention to the question ;-) –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:42

in Umsetzung wird zumindest im innerbetrieblichem Sprachgebrauch durchaus angewandt. Ich würde nicht sagen, dass es inkorrekt ist - lediglich nicht alltäglich. –  chill0r Apr 25 at 10:20

I would prefer

in Bearbeitung

instead of in Umsetzung.

In my opinion is open/offen not a good term or the state is unclear.
offen is a good translation for open, but i think it is a umbrella term like active for

• new
  • accepted / assigned
  • in progress

The Project Ticket System "Trac" has a new state.
see German translation from the Trac Ticket System

They also translated closed with abgeschlossen.

I cannot use "new/neu" as this indicates something else in my project. Thanks for the hint with "in Bearbeitung". –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:43

Messageboxes with a progress bar in computer programs usually have Bearbeitung läuft as translation to in progress.

Ok, let's see. I probably wouldn't use "offen" for open. If we're talking about the life-cycle of a project, perhaps "aktuell" or "aktiv" might work? Likewise, "abgeschlossen" is a much better choice than geschlossen or umgesetzt, in my opinion.

As to "in progress": what about "in Arbeit"?

I don't think that "aktiv/aktuell" is a good choice for open topics because it's indicating that something is/will happen(ing). You can find several open bugs in a bugtracker which have not been active for a long time. So I suggest to perhaps use "ungeprüft" or "Auf Entscheidung wartend". However the later isn't concise enough for a life-cycle. –  cr0 Apr 24 at 12:18

Everything depends on context, obviously. For a bug-tracker "ungelöst" or similar might be an option, but I would have thought you needed different statuses there anyway. –  Ingmar Apr 24 at 12:37

I like "aktuell" or "aktiv" in order to answer my question. Thanks a lot! –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 24 at 12:48

This pair is what I've seen quite often:

in progress: im Prozess

"Im Prozess" sounds rather like trial. –  Em1 Apr 24 at 13:33

Perhaps better as a trivialism rather than for the name of a project phase...

underway: unterwegs

My understanding is that this means more like, "on the way" but it still makes sense, I think. –  betherwisser Apr 24 at 14:42

Also interesting, especially if lifecycle terms refer to logistic industrie. Thanks! –  Gottlieb Notschnabel Apr 27 at 13:27

A one-word synonym for "In progress" is "Pending", in English. In German, Google translate tells me the word is "anstehend".

anstehend means that something is enqueued or scheduled to be processed in the near future. Another translation is upcoming. –  cr0 Apr 24 at 21:13

How about "fortschreitend" and "ongoing"?

Doesn't work for me, not in this context. –  Ingmar Apr 25 at 2:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.