Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The Eisbrecher song Fanatica has the line "let me put some dust on your face". I assume this is a literal translation of a German expression, but I can't figure out what it means.

share|improve this question

Das ist doch eine Frage nach einer englischen Formel? M.E. off topic. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:18

It asks for the meaning of an non-understood English formular. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:19
It's probably a drug-related phrase. Given the overall quality of the lyrics I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it. –  Twinkles Apr 25 at 11:15

@userunknown: Aber die Frage ist, welcher deutsche Satz hier eventuell schlecht übersetzt wurde, und hierfür ist primär Wissen über die deutsche Sprache erforderlich. Insofern ist die Frage schon on-topic (und vergleichbar mit einer Frage über die Bedeutung des Worts Oldtimer). –  Wrzlprmft Apr 25 at 11:17

@Wrzlprmft Danke shön! Das ist was ich genau gemeint –  Benubird Apr 25 at 11:37

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I am not aware of a corresponding German expression, certainly not a common one.

share|improve this answer

+1 me neither.. –  Franz Ebner Apr 24 at 15:54

I also don't know exactly what they mean by "feed my fire" and "heat my wire" ... well, that's lyrics for you. –  Ingmar Apr 24 at 16:01

Sieht für mich wie ein Kommentar, nicht wie eine Antwort aus. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:16

It's got three upvotes, so who am I to argue? –  Ingmar Apr 25 at 5:26
You mean all the lyrics of all songs ever make sense to you? You either have a very eclectic taste in music, or "sense" just doesn't meant the same to both of us ... –  Ingmar Apr 25 at 8:59

First:
The Song "Fanatica" (published 2003) is not from "Rammstein" but from "Eisbrecher" (Eisbrecher = ice breaker). (There are more NDH-bands than just Rammstein). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWu2il7pckY

Second:
Lyrics doesn't always need to mean something.

Maybe you understand the mood that should be expressed by this song if you read the complete lyrics and its translation.

Complete lyrics:

Wir tanzen elektrisch
Ganz hektisch
Wir schwingen fantastisch
Elastisch
Wir drehn uns narkotisch
Hyperhypnotisch
Wir tanzen den Rhythmus
Wo ich mit muss

Feed my fire
Let me put some dust on your face
Heat my wire
You make me feel ecstatic
Make me dance fanatic tonight

Tanz - fanatica
Tanz - fanatica

Wir tanzen elektrisch
Ganz hektisch
Wir schweben erotisch
Neoexotisch
Wir wiegen uns kryptisch
Apokalyptisch
Wir tanzen ekstatisch
Wir tanzen fanatisch

Feed my fire ...

(repeated refrain)

Translation of the german parts:

We dance electric
Totally hectic
We swing fantastic
Elastic
We turn narcotic
Hyperhypnotic
We dance the rhythm
that I must follow 1)

Feed my fire ...

dance - fanatica 2)

We dance electric
Totally hectic
We levitate erotic
Neoexotic
We sway cryptic
Apocalyptic
We dance ecstatic
We dance fanatic

Feed my fire ...

1) "Der Rhythmus wo ich (immer) mit muss" is phrase that is hard to translate. I lives from its rhyme.

2) "fanatica" is neither a german nor an english word. Maybe it should be an exotic version of "fanatic"

share|improve this answer

You're right about the band! I was listening to rammstein when I typed the question, and just put the wrong name in. Thanks for pointing it out - I've edited the question. –  Benubird Apr 25 at 8:38

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.