Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Have you ever been to Paris?" "Yes, and I liked it."

How would the latter sentence be translated to german? My attempt:

Ja, und ich habe sie gemocht.

Or

Ja, und sie hat mir gefallen.

I'm using "sie" because it's "die Stadt". However I've never found any of those forms in actual german texts. It might just be a coincidence of course, but I'm wondering whether they are correct.

share|improve this question
das Paris. –  c.p. Apr 24 at 19:50
"Paris" kann nicht mit "Stadt" übersetzt werden. "Der Ort", "die Lokalität", "das Gebiet" - es gibt keine Geschlechtskonstanz in der Generalisierung oder Spezialisierung. –  user unknown Apr 25 at 5:15

2 Answers 2

up vote 14 down vote accepted

"Ja, und ich habe sie gemocht." is wrong*, unless the word 'Stadt' actually appears in the question:

Warst du schon einmal in der beliebten Stadt Paris?
Ja, und sie hat mir gefallen.

Apart from that, I would use the following reply to "Warst du schon einmal in Paris?":

Ja, und ich habe es [dort] genossen

"Es" refers to the event of being there / the time which was spent there.

You could also say:

Ja, und es hat mir [dort] gefallen.

If you want to set the focus on the city, use the following sentence:

Ja, und die Stadt hat mir gefallen.

*) You might consider using 'sie' (for referring to a city, e.g. Paris) a personification of the city. It is therefore not wrong in all contexts, but you rather encounter such phrases in poetic texts than in everyday language.

share|improve this answer
'Ich habe sie gemocht' is definitely not always wrong. It's weird, I give you that. But if you fancy yourself a bit on the poetic side, you might as well say you liked her, implying that Paris is like a woman (beautiful, sensuous etc. if you catch my drift). That works just as well in german as it does in english, especially for Paris :) –  LarissaGodzilla Apr 25 at 8:33

@LarissaGodzilla: I agree, but that would be in the same terroritory as a statement like "Ich habe Gisela getroffen und mit ihm gesprochen.", to (humorously, for example) express that you recognize a number of rather masculine traits in a woman named Gisela. Makes sense in context and with poetic license in mind, but I doubt that is what the OP was looking for here. –  O. R. Mapper Apr 25 at 11:32

@LarissaGodzilla As O. R. Mapper said, you can always personify objects. While personification is a canonical stylistic device, I don't think you use it in everyday language (especially not as a beginner). Nevertheless, I updated my answer to reflect your comment :) –  ComFreek Apr 25 at 11:59

Definitely "es", as all cities are neutral, even when the name is a compound ending in -burg , -berg, etc. (das Hamburg, das Heidelberg)

To give a few more examples:

Das Hamburg, aus dem Benedikt die Flucht ins Jenseits antrat, war eine Art hoffnungsloser   
Vorposten im wilden Wikinger-Land. [Die Zeit, 07.07.2005]

Das Frankfurt der Jahreswende 1828 / 29, wo sich dies alles zuträgt, ist dabei kein 
austauschbarer fiktionaler Ort. [Frankfurter Rundschau, 02.01.1998, S. 22]
share|improve this answer

It shoul dbe added that the article is normally not used, only as in these examples when we don't speak of the city itself / as a whole / as geographic entity, but rather about a historical aspect of the city. But the genus is also visible when using attributes ("O, du mein geliebtes Hamburg") –  Hagen von Eitzen Apr 26 at 21:57
I don't think it has to be the historical aspect of the city, strictly speaking. I can think of a few more examples where the article is justified: das Rom von heute; das Wien, wie ich es kenne; das Hamburg der Obdachlosen; das "schöne" Paris, das Paris der Postkarten; ... It is true, though, that an article is not usually needed when simply referring to the city as such. –  Ingmar Apr 27 at 4:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.