Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Tomorrow I am going to have my tires rotated because the tires in front are worn out

Morgen werde ich die Reifen meines Autos umstecken lassen, da die Reifen von vorne abgenutzt sind.

Does "die Reifen meines Autos umstecken lassen" mean to have tire rotation in German? And I am not sure that the word abgenutzt means "worn out."

share|improve this question
Please, before you go on yet another spree of simple translation questions, remember that you need to show the results of your own research efforts and explain where you got stuck. –  teylyn Apr 29 at 1:21
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

"Reifenwechsel" is the common term, although "Radwechsel" is probably correct in this context. You can also use "durchwechseln" or "umstecken".

Morgen werde ich meine Räder umstecken lassen weil die Vorderreifen abgefahren sind.

share|improve this answer

Morgen werde ich einen Radwechsel durchwechseln lassen, da die Vorderreifen abgenutzt sind? Danke! –  DerPolyglott33 Apr 28 at 8:55

"einen Radwechsel durchführen lassen" or "meine Räder durchwechseln lassen". –  Twinkles Apr 28 at 8:56
First thing I would think of with "Rad-/Reifenwechsel" would be a tire replacement though. Use "durchwechseln" or "umstecken" to avoid confusion. –  Twinkles Apr 28 at 9:04

Danke sehr für die Hilfe! –  DerPolyglott33 Apr 28 at 9:07

Is 'umstecken' more of a slang term or proper german? Because I've never heard it, which is weird. –  LarissaGodzilla Apr 28 at 10:52
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.