Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Every 3 months i have my car oil changed.

Alle drei Monate lasse ich meinen Wagen Öl wechseln.

In English, you can also say to have an oil change, where the word "change" is a gerund, and the word "oil," normally a noun, is used as an adjective. Is there an equivalent German construction.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Baz, Ingmar, Em1, Vogel612, c.p. Apr 28 at 21:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I disagree with the downvotes...German is so chock full of idioms that you can often be wrong when you translate literally. –  emaltman Apr 28 at 19:00

I clarified the question by asking for the German equivalent (if any) of an English construction, and voted to reopen in its current form. –  Tom Au Jun 18 at 0:45

@TomAu: thank you for your effort but in this case (where answers exclusively address the oil change rather than the grammar concept) I believe we should wait for another, more general question asking for the German equivalent of "to have sth + done". –  Takkat Jun 18 at 6:25
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

oil change can be translated as Ölwechsel.

You can use it in combiantion with e.g. vornehmen lassen (somebody else is doing this for you)

Alle drei Monate lasse ich einen Ölwechsel vornehmen.

Or of course in combination with machen -- done by yourself ....

Alle drei Monate mache ich einen Ölwechsel

share|improve this answer

In my opinion, machen is not in any case an indicator that you do it yourself. –  cr0 Apr 28 at 10:00
In this case it definitely is. –  Vogel612 Apr 28 at 10:18

@cr0 as machen is quiet general, you are absolut correct -- it would just mean something like do. But in my example at least I think it's obious who is going to do the oil change .. ;) –  frlan Apr 28 at 10:46
add comment

Alle drei Monate lasse ich einen Ölwechsel machen.

share|improve this answer
@Twinkles sorry for the late reponse. Concerning that. Just because OP wants a quick translation, should you give it to him? The goal of this site is to educate learners and provide explanation and reasoning. Just Translating a sentence is off-topic as of our help center. That's why I was missing an explanation in your post. –  Vogel612 Apr 28 at 13:32
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.