Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to figure out how to translate the idiomatic expression "Bless his (little) heart" into German. The general sense is: "He meant well, but, wow, was that ever dumb!" I don't think the literal translation segne sein Herz will work here.

share|improve this question
This guy thought he'd be able to translate an idiom into german....bless his heart ;) –  emaltman May 1 at 15:19
Mal nachgeschlagen? Wo? –  user unknown May 2 at 1:40
add comment

3 Answers 3

I would translate it as:

Er hat es ja gut gemeint.

He meant well (but).

to quote the other response:

Der Arme hatte es gut gemeint.

or passive:

Es war ja gut gemeint.

It was meant well (but).

I'd never use 'Gott' in that expression. God no. :-)

share|improve this answer
add comment

It will depend; as a parenthesis of sorts "Gott segne ihn" should work. If you want a full sentence, I'd suggest "es war ja gut gemeint, aber ... " oder "er hat es ja gut gemeint".

Do you have a fuller example?

For instance: "He thought he could iron his pants while wearing them, bless his heart." –  aeismail Apr 30 at 21:10
I don't think there's a good translation in this particular case. I'd go with "stell dir das vor" (go figure, imagine that) or something along these lines. –  Ingmar May 1 at 5:56
add comment

How about ending it with "..., der Arme" or something along those lines?

Welcome, Brian. We prefere more elaborate answers. You might want to edit what you wrote. –  c.p. May 5 at 19:58

Whoever downvoted, he/she could also be nice and explain why (we might suspect why, but the new user doesn't). –  c.p. May 5 at 20:44

I think this fits best the meaning of the idiom –  RRZ Europe May 6 at 10:10
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.