Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a blog called Watch Me Research, where I publish my research on interesting things, and I've been translating my posts to German, publishing them under a subdomain. I'm still learning German (I have for the last five years), and I can't for the life of me come up with a good translation of the blog's name.

I guess, to generalize the question, can you say "watch me verb" in the same way as in English? Is "schau mir forschen" a good translation?

share|improve this question

interesting, could i know the site url? –  alvas May 3 at 20:14

research.fictional.in for the English version, de.research.fictional.in for the German one. –  jocap May 3 at 21:34

Maybe I'll just use the English name here as well, and append a [DE] to it. –  jocap May 3 at 21:36

Would you mind sharing a few of your attempts? It would probably be helpful to understand, what your "target" is. –  Vogel612 May 4 at 0:35

"Schau mir forschen" is terrible. –  schlingel May 6 at 12:19
show 1 more comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Sieh mich forschen - short, gramatically correct version, but a little poetic.

share|improve this answer

Why do you consider this poetic? –  Carsten Schultz May 6 at 6:56

I cannot imagine someone using this phrase in everyday language. –  Carlster May 6 at 15:37

Ooh, that's my new favorite. Is it poetic? In Swedish, the equivalent "se mig forska" sounds perfectly normal. Anyway, I'm going with this one, because it most resembles the original English title. Thanks! –  jocap May 7 at 12:43
add comment

Now the question is what research should mean. In English it roughly means something like gathering information. When translating to German there is a difference. A journalist does research for an article and a scientist is doing scientific research on a special subject and so on...

For these two cases I suggest these translations:

The journalist: Sieh' mir beim recherchieren/nachforschen zu

The scientist: Sieh' mir beim forschen zu

EDIT: But neither of these would sound really good as names for a blog, especially not to native germans.

EDIT 2: After some thinking i came up with "Lass uns forschen!" ("Lets research") as a Blog title. Of course that changes the meaning completely but surves the purpose well in my opinion.

Perhaps it is impossible for it to sound good. I'm open to other suggestions based on the content at research.fictional.in and de.research.fictional.in. –  jocap May 3 at 21:40

What about Lass uns forschen! (Let's research!)? –  marstato May 3 at 21:43
That's actually a good one. I think I'm going with that one, unless somebody suggests something better. Update your answer with "Lass uns forschen" and I'll accept it! –  jocap May 3 at 21:47
add comment

Maybe Schau mir zu, wie ich forsche , literally, Watch me as I research?

you need to use the verb forschen, not the noun Forschung: wie ich forsche –  cr0 May 3 at 20:57
add comment

At the risk of leaving information out in the title, why not just name it Schau Mal! Or the like?

That sounds a little too vague, though. I want to have "research," in whatever form, in the title. –  jocap May 3 at 21:38

I understand. It is indeed a trade-off between style and being specific. –  emaltman May 3 at 21:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.