Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In German, is there a correct way of saying we have lots of fun using the passive voice?

I have trouble understanding the grammar behind this, because German used Spaß with machen for to be fun, rather than sein. So how would we turn this in passive voice? Is the following correct?

Es wird viel Spaß von uns gemacht.

(lit. There is lots of fun made by us).

share|improve this question

Whatever you trying to say, I think it's not idiomatic. Idiomatic would be: "Wir haben Spaß (gehabt)", "Wir machen Spaß (haben Spaß gemacht)", "Das macht Spaß (hat Spaß gemacht)" –  Em1 May 5 at 11:24
"we have lots of fun" has no passive in it. Also, what is "sein" + "machen" –  Emanuel May 5 at 16:58

I think the question is about correct usage of "machen" for passive voice, and not about the translation itself. –  Vogel612 May 6 at 7:21

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

We have lots of fun is translated as Es macht uns viel Spaß or Wir haben viel Spaß. This is not a passive construction - neither in your English samples nor in the translation.

share|improve this answer

Es ist spaßig für uns? Wir sind spaßig? –  user unknown May 7 at 11:01

Both are not passive voice. Wie sind spaßig means We are funny and Es ist spaßig für uns means It is fun for us. Not exactly the same thing as Es macht uns viel Spaß, while the latter is close. –  Thorsten Dittmar May 7 at 11:07
  1. Aktiv: Es macht uns viel Spaß.
  2. Passiv: Es wird viel Spaß von uns gemacht.

Aber: "Wir haben viel Spaß" ist intransitiv - Weil: "Der Spaß wird von uns gehabt" zwar schön ist, aber nicht erlaubt.

Im Wörterbuch steht hinter den Verben trans. bzw. intrans. – Das bedeutet, dass man diese Worte im Passiv verwenden darf oder nicht.

share|improve this answer

Ist es nicht eher anders herum? "Der Spaß wird von uns gehabt" ist zwar schön, aber nicht erlaubt, denn "Wir haben viel Spaß" ist intransitiv? –  Thorsten Dittmar May 6 at 15:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.