Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am new to German and I have some questions when asking for someone's job in German:

Was ist die Person von Beruf?

I was taught that "von" in German means "of" in English like in the sentence

Was ist der Name von deiner Mama / deinem Papa.

So shouldn't it be

Was ist der Beruf von der Person?

or

Was ist der Beruf der Person?

in genitive case.

Also, I can't say

Ich bin ein Kassierer von Beruf.

but say

Ich bin Kassierer von Beruf.

or

Ich bin ein Kassierer.

share|improve this question

All your example sentences are proper German, you might be worrying a bit too much. –  API-Beast May 20 at 7:21
add comment

2 Answers 2

You are right concerning the generic meaning of von being `of. So the following sentences are fully correct:

Was ist der Beruf von dieser Person?

Was ist der Name von deiner Mama?

Der Beruf von mir ist Kassierer. (Attention: This is bad style. It's better to say: "Mein Beruf ist Kassierer.")

But there is an idiomatic expression in German: von Beruf sein meaning the same. It's just like this:

Was ist diese Person von Beruf?

Ich bin von Beruf Kassierer.

So all of your suggested sentences are correct concerning your question.

share|improve this answer

Note, I fixed the declination errors as they weren't related to the question. –  Em1 May 14 at 14:55
"Was ist der Name von deiner Mutter?" is unsual. Use "Waser ist der Name deiner Mutter?" instead. –  Max Ried May 14 at 20:36

Ebenso ist "Was ist der Beruf Deiner Mutter" wesentlich besser als mit dem überflüssigen "von". Das ist aber genau die Frage gewesen. –  user unknown May 15 at 11:35

@MaxRied and @user unknown: Mir ist schon klar, dass die Genitivkonstruktionen besserer Ausdruck als die generische von-Konstruktionen sind. Es geht in der Frage aber nicht um die Genitivkonstruktionen, sondern um die beiden von-Konstruktionen. –  Toscho May 15 at 18:59

Ja, war auch nur ergänzend von mir gemeint. Und mit Autokorrekturquark drin... –  Max Ried May 15 at 19:04
add comment

In some cases, 'von' is best translated with 'by'. For example, in the passive with non-human agents:

ich wurde von einer Schlange gebissen.

I got bitten by a snake.

This may also be a case where 'by' is best translation for 'von' for English speakers:

I am a cashier by profession.

Not a native speaker by any means, but that's how I understand the parallels between the German and the English.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.