Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is the German future tense similar to the English future tense? Or is it different? Can i use it the same way as the English future tense?

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by c.p., Em1, Vogel612, Ingmar, Takkat May 18 at 9:12

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

That is too vague a question to be properly answered here. Have you simply looked up the German future tense online? –  emaltman May 17 at 22:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Let's take a look at the different ways to talk about the future. The first form of future would be to take a sentence in the present and just add a temporal adverb which describes a point in the future, as in:

Morgen mache ich meine Hausaufgaben. | Tomorrow I do my homework.

Morgen bin ich am Hausaufgaben machen | Tomorrow I am doing my homework

The next step is the Futur I, which is formed with "werden + Infinitiv"

Morgen werde ich meine Hausaufgaben machen. | Tomorrow I will do my homework.

Morgen werde ich am Hausaufgaben machen sein. | Tomorrow I will be doing my homework.

And finally, there is Futur II, which is formed with "werden + Perfekt"

Morgen Abend werde ich meine Hausaufgaben gemacht haben. | Tomorrow evening I will have done my homework.

Morgen Abend werde ich am Hausaufgaben machen gewesen sein. | Tomorrow evening I will have been doing my homework.

So it seems that they are pretty similar and it is probably save to say, that you can use them equally.

share|improve this answer
An edit is necessary to fix the disinformation here. First off, German does have the gerund, its just more rare. The progressive does exist as well, using the am+infinitive construction. –  emaltman May 18 at 3:32

You're right, I took another look and edited my answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong. –  konkret May 19 at 3:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.